[SOLVED] CPU 70-80 degrees while gaming

Mar 19, 2020
While playing relatively light games (Heroes & Generals, Rec Orchestra 2 etc) my 1600 AF CPU is around 70-80 degrees.

On benchmark videos it is much cooler (50-60 while playing witcher 3)

Should I maybe add new thremal paste? When putting together my PC, I removed and reattached the cooler after some time to check the position.

CPU: 1600 AF
3 case fans
Stock cooler

Solution
I don't know if I am reading this right but just to verify. You removed your cooler from the CPU. When you did this did you clean it and reapply thermal paste or did you just put it back on? If you just set the cooler back on I would suggest that you shut down your machine until you go get some new thermal paste and reapply. Clean both sides (cpu and heat spreader) with a rag and rubbing alcohol removing the old compound, let it dry and as per the thermal paste instructions reapply, Thermal paste is a one shot thing. Any time you remove a cooler from a CPU a new application is critically necessary even if you just applied it ten minutes before. Slapping a cooler back on creates air voids that will cause uneven heat stresses in...

RealBeast

Titan
While playing relatively light games (Heroes & Generals, Rec Orchestra 2 etc) my 1600 AF CPU is around 70-80 degrees.

Should I maybe add new thremal paste? When putting together my PC, I removed and reattached the cooler after some time to check the position.

3 case fans
Stock cooler
As long as it stays at 80C or under you are fine.

jasonf2

Distinguished
I don't know if I am reading this right but just to verify. You removed your cooler from the CPU. When you did this did you clean it and reapply thermal paste or did you just put it back on? If you just set the cooler back on I would suggest that you shut down your machine until you go get some new thermal paste and reapply. Clean both sides (cpu and heat spreader) with a rag and rubbing alcohol removing the old compound, let it dry and as per the thermal paste instructions reapply, Thermal paste is a one shot thing. Any time you remove a cooler from a CPU a new application is critically necessary even if you just applied it ten minutes before. Slapping a cooler back on creates air voids that will cause uneven heat stresses in the CPU.

Solution

Siusiujuju

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010

3 case fans
Stock cooler

when you were playing those Light games, what was your CPU usage? maybe they're graphically light weight and utilize the CPU more. When you play Witcher3 maybe your GPU is the bottleneck Hence your CPU usage is lower hence lower temp. but in any case, you are using stock cooler, and they're meant to JUST do the job without thermal throttling. so your temp looks fine for a stock cooler.