[SOLVED] CPU 8+4 connection

Aug 15, 2019
Hey
So i recently bought a z390 board and a intel i7 9700k
i have a corsair RM850x PSU and wanted to overclock the CPU.
the board has 12 pins to fill and was wondering if iam going to need to make use of the extra 4 pin slot.
i know that the 8 pin splits in 2 and if i connect half of it and plug the other side (8 pin) cpu cable into the psu will that work?
Why/ why not? this is my first build and i really dont wanna mess up so any answers would be great.
Thanks

Solution
if i want to overclock the i7 9700k to 5ghz does that count as extreme?
No, I mean extreme as in liquid nitrogen cooling. I think your PSU does have two CPU 8 pin connectors though, if so, I'd use the 8 pin and just use the 4 pins on the second socket with the 8 pin split, that's what I did on my Asus TUF X570 motherboard.

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
If you only have one 8 pin on the power supply for the CPU power connector, use that 8 pin in the 8 pin socket on the motherboard. The extra 4 pin is more of a gimmick than anything else and is moreso for extreme overclocking

Aug 15, 2019
If you only have one 8 pin on the power supply for the CPU power connector, use that 8 pin in the 8 pin socket on the motherboard. The extra 4 pin is more of a gimmick than anything else and is moreso for extreme overclocking

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
No, I mean extreme as in liquid nitrogen cooling. I think your PSU does have two CPU 8 pin connectors though, if so, I'd use the 8 pin and just use the 4 pins on the second socket with the 8 pin split, that's what I did on my Asus TUF X570 motherboard.

Reactions: SW0LSM0LDAV3
Solution

TRENDING THREADS