CPU- - -8 degrees idle...80 degrees load?

Dburnsx

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
As the title of the thread suggests, my CPU idles under 20 degrees consistently, and sometimes under 10.
However under load it goes over 80 degrees after a little awhile.

At 89 degrees it will shut its self down for safety purposes. The only cases in which it has reached Tj.max, was during a prime95 [torture] test. (understandable, but not ideal)

What's going on here? Not really sure what to think of these two extremes, and whether or not I should be concerned.

CPU:
AMD FX9370 (yes its hotter than the sun, I'm aware)
Water-Cooler:
ENERMAX UC-12EB 120MM
Fans:
Stock Intake Fan
Stock Exhaust Fan
2 Side Panel Cooler Master 120 Fans
2 Ceiling/Top Cooler Master 120 Fans

My assumption would simply be that I need to upgrade my liquid cooler to freeze the beast, but I'm not looking to invest another $100+ until I'm sure about what's going on considering my extremely low idling temperatures.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dburnsx

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
Well, as I said its typically just under 20.
It drops as low 7-10 occasionally.
Regardless, my idling temps are fine, I'm just still worried about why the temps are getting so high under load.

High temps under load means that the CPU/heatsink is either inadequate or not installed correctly.

Dburnsx

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
Hey,

Thanks to you guys who responded to my post.
A friend of mine and I did some more reading and discussed possible solutions and discovered the issue.
In conclusion, my problem was stemming from poor air flow.

- I moved some fans around, swapped out the stock fan on the exhaust for a coolerMaster 120.
- Changed intake/exhaust direction of my side panel fan to intake cool air instead of exhausting it.
- Put another fan on the other side of my radiator so it was sandwiched to help cool the liquid better before it circulated back to the cpu; and to better help exhaust the hot air better.

Prime 95 executed for 30 minutes and never went above 74 degrees. (short test, but SIGNIFICANTLY better results)

Just wanted to share my solution for anyone who's having similar issues and came across this post.

Be sure to take a look at the air flow as it travels through your tower, because it was a 20 C degree difference for me and saved me 100$ on buying a new water cooler.

Thanks again.