Question Cpu 80C or higher on every game i play

Rohan76576

Reputable
Feb 7, 2020
I have the Ryzen 5 3600 with the stock cooler and i’ve recently noticed the cpu temp at 80C for every game i play which are fortnite, Heats of Iron IV, gta 5, red dead online and Cyberpunk2077 and even on prison architect!

Motherboard: TUF B450 plus gaming
going: Amd radeon 5700 Gigabyte
case: Coolermaster rgb

Last edited:
I have the Ryzen 5 3600 with the stock cooler and i’ve recently noticed the cpu temp at 80C for every game i play which are fortnite, Heats of Iron IV, gta 5, red dead online and Cyberpunk2077 and even on prison architect!

Motherboard: TUF B450 plus gaming
going: Amd radeon 5700 Gigabyte
case: Coolermaster rgb
how are you measuring temps? The cpu will report temp spikes as it boosts in games so don't confuse the spikes as actual temp. Use the right temp reporting tool to get it right.

i’m using ryzen master and when i’m looking at them it’s steady on 80C to 85C. it’s not spikes.
I'm with @kurdtnz : an aftermarket cooler is your best bet. The stock wraithe comes with 3600's are barely good enough and you're finding out why as while even 85C isn't unsafe it's losing performance as it pulls back on boost clock considerably above 80C or so.

Last edited:
Reactions: kurdtnz
Which cpu cooler do you recommend I get for my cpu?
A lot of personal choice: I like 240mm AIO's but you need the right case which is one that allows for front mounting the radiator. The reason I like it is it's pretty much fool proof for case ventilation: just orient the fans to draw cool air across the radiator and it works great. But they have one big fault: they don't last forever. You can't count on them lasting more that 4-5 years when the waterblock fins will start clogging.

Big air coolers are also pretty good (and last forever). You need to be careful about ventilating your case right though or the GPU just keeps the CPU nice and hot. Noctua NH-14 for instance, BeQuiet Shadow Rock, something like that seems to work well. You'll get more reccommends I'm sure.

Paste is rarely the solution for such issues.
Having remounted a couple of times, it is unlikely that you got the mount wrong.

What is the make/model of your coolermaster case and what is the fan arrangement?
Any cooler needs a good source of fresh air to let the cooler do it's job.
That is why I want to know the fan arrangement.

If you want a stronger aftermarket cooler, it is the height available in your case that will determine your options.
If you have 160mm available, there are many good options.
What is your budget for a better cooler?

Rohan76576

Reputable
Feb 7, 2020
A lot of personal choice: I like 240mm AIO's but you need the right case which is one that allows for front mounting the radiator. The reason I like it is it's pretty much fool proof for case ventilation: just orient the fans to draw cool air across the radiator and it works great. But they have one big fault: they don't last forever. You can't count on them lasting more that 4-5 years when the waterblock fins will start clogging.

Big air coolers are also pretty good (and last forever). You need to be careful about ventilating your case right though or the GPU just keeps the CPU nice and hot. Noctua NH-14 for instance, BeQuiet Shadow Rock, something like that seems to work well. You'll get more reccommends I'm sure.
Thanks

Rohan76576

Reputable
Feb 7, 2020
Paste is rarely the solution for such issues.
Having remounted a couple of times, it is unlikely that you got the mount wrong.

What is the make/model of your coolermaster case and what is the fan arrangement?
Any cooler needs a good source of fresh air to let the cooler do it's job.
That is why I want to know the fan arrangement.

If you want a stronger aftermarket cooler, it is the height available in your case that will determine your options.
If you have 160mm available, there are many good options.
What is your budget for a better cooler?
The model of my coolermaster case the masterbox mb520 rgb and the fan arrangement is the same as what it came with, which is 3 at the the front and one at the back. My budget for a better cooler is around $100.

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
@Rohan76576
What thermal paste are you using? Do you spread it all over surface or you use the pea-size method (not a good method for feverish components of today).
Do you make a thin layer to fill the crevices or you insulate your cpu like a pancake?
80C with air cooling is not bad.
I use Kryonaut.
I like liquid cooling, If I was you I'd try a better TIM before buying a cooler.

Rohan76576

Reputable
Feb 7, 2020
@Rohan76576
What thermal paste are you using? Do you spread it all over surface or you use the pea-size method (not a good method for feverish components of today).
Do you make a thin layer to fill the crevices or you insulate your cpu like a pancake?
80C with air cooling is not bad.
I use Kryonaut.
I like liquid cooling, If I was you I'd try a better TIM before buying a cooler.
i just let the thermal plaster spread when i put the cooler back on.

Ypu could probably undervolt it and get way better Temps. They come in clocked too high.

For reference, I have the 3900x with the stock cooler it came with. Out of the box, it was hitting 1.4v , 85c to 90c during cinebench. I turned off PBO overclocking. After some testing, I found it was stable at 1.2125v, half the cores oc'd to 4.35, half to 4.2ghz. I can now run cinebench test at 70c and real world usage like gaming or even 3d rendering, I hit 55c.

No new cooler, stock cooler, twice the cores of yours. Undervolting to a better voltage will probably get you 10c right there