[SOLVED] CPU 8700K Speed vs Performance

Seabass101

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2016
Hi, I would like to know if lowering a CPUs speed could increase temps because the workload it could accomplish is diminished so it has to work harder then when it was at a higher speed like 4.5GHz vs 4.7GHz??? Btw, the voltages are with in .20mv so not much difference their.

Solution
Hi, I would like to know if lowering a CPUs speed could increase temps because the workload it could accomplish is diminished so it has to work harder then when it was at a higher speed like 4.5GHz vs 4.7GHz??? Btw, the voltages are with in .20mv so not much difference their.
If your CPU (or a single core) is 100% busy, then lowering the clock speed with get less work done. If your CPU (or a single core) is not 100% busy then it is possible that the utilization percentage could increase with a lower clock speed. You really won't get any more work done, it just takes a higher percent of time for the slower CPU to get the work done.

kanewolf

Titan
If your CPU (or a single core) is 100% busy, then lowering the clock speed with get less work done. If your CPU (or a single core) is not 100% busy then it is possible that the utilization percentage could increase with a lower clock speed. You really won't get any more work done, it just takes a higher percent of time for the slower CPU to get the work done.

Solution