[SOLVED] CPU 98 Degrees Celsius at Idle

Spankyboy0710

Reputable
Mar 14, 2015
Hi, I've searched the Forums, but can't find info on my specific issue. I built my system in 2015 and have never had an issue until now. I noticed my games were starting to drop frame rates dramatically, so I investigated and found that my CPU temps were running at 97c to 100c constantly at idle or under load. Opening or closing programs doesn't seem to make a difference. I didn't change anything. The only thing I did was move to a new house and plug in speakers.

I applied new thermal paste today, but that did not help. Any advice would be appreciated.

Windows 7
i5 4690k (stock speed)
Z97 Killer MB
16 mb RAM
GTX 1070 (just upgraded, but problem existed with old GTX 970)
Corsair H100i liquid cooler

All case fans (3) and cooler fans (2) are functioning . GPU temp is running at around 52c at idle.

Edit: Also, while I'm just sitting here surfing, I notice the CPU load spikes dramatically once in a while to 100%

Last edited:
Solution
Almost 5 year old pump, looks like it had a good run. Corrosion to the pump blades is my guess and during the move might've finished them off and now water isn't being pumped quick enough.

If that's the case, move to air?

Spankyboy0710

Reputable
Mar 14, 2015
I had this happen after a rad removal and fan replace.

I had to rotate the case and let the liquid flow back down to the pump. After that, all is/was well.

I inspected a little closer and one of the radiator fans wasn't running. I messed around a little, swapped the electrical leads and now both are working, BUT...

After a brief period of idling in the low 70s, as soon as I opened Chrome, back up into the 90s consistently under around 20% load.

I dropped the radiator and did hear coolant moving around, but doesn't seem that any of that helped. I am at a loss. Now it's pretty consistent in the mid 80s, which is an improvement, but still in yellow alert.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Almost 5 year old pump, looks like it had a good run. Corrosion to the pump blades is my guess and during the move might've finished them off and now water isn't being pumped quick enough.

Solution

Spankyboy0710

Reputable
Mar 14, 2015

Thanks. I'm tempted to throw the stock cooling fan in there, which has never been used, just to confirm that the pump is the issue, but I'm leaning towards a bad pump or some other pump/rad issue.

TRENDING THREADS