Question CPU accidentally dropped

Okay i will report when it ready actually mobo is delivered by Tuesday and i got processor today and I'm bit scared by amazon returned policy. Btw thanks for info
The chip looks to be in solder-mask layer of the interposer which isn't the CPU die so it's not necessarily catastrophic. But like USAFRet says, best way to tell is see if it boots.

Thing is: when you go to install it be careful. You want it to simply drop easily in place in the socket, don't force it, in case a pin is slightly bent. Forcing it, or tightening down the cooler, could bend it flat and damage it permanently.

If it doesn't drop in place remove it and examine really closely, looking obliquely along the rows of pins, in all directions, to find one or a few that are just slightly askew from the rest. You can correct slight bends easily enough with a .5mm Pentel mech. pencil tip with lead removed.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019
The chip looks to be in solder-mask layer of the interposer which isn't the CPU die so it's not necessarily catastrophic. But like USAFRet says, best way to tell is see if it boots.

Thing is: when you go to install it be careful. You want it to simply drop easily in place in the socket, don't force it, in case a pin is slightly bent. Forcing it, or tightening down the cooler, could bend it flat and damage it permanently.

If it doesn't drop in place remove it and examine really closely, looking obliquely along the rows of pins, in all directions, to find one or a few that are just slightly askew from the rest. You can correct slight bends easily enough with a .5mm Pentel mech. pencil tip with lead removed.
Okay