[SOLVED] Cpu accidentaly delid

russelman

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017
So I've got my ryzen 3 2200g and I was planning to replace just the thermal paste. At the time when I screwed the fan off, the metal from the cpu dislodged and I think that my cpu was accidentally delid. I've boot my pc up then then tested if it works. It works but the temps are really high. How do I fix this? What do I need to buy?

Solution
The 2200G and 2400G use thermal interface material (paste) between the IHS and die. They are not soldered as other Ryzens are.

This doesn't present a problem, but an opportunity. You have 2 options. Contact AMD and get a warranty replacement OR treat the apu like any other delid and follow standard delid procedures to replace the cheap TIM with liquid metal. There's plenty of videos on how-to, you'd just skip the IHS removal section.

Either way, you'll be fixed because as it stands currently, the original TIM should not and cannot be relied upon, just like replacing paste when a cooler is changed or removed.
It's like with most of the CPU, for example the Intel Core 2, the metal plate is attached to the CPU core using thermal adhesive at the center and some sort of adhesive at the sides. You can pry it out if you apply enough of force.

You can gently put it back, it acts like a cover to protect the CPU core.

So I've got my ryzen 3 2200g and I was planning to replace just the thermal paste. At the time when I screwed the fan off, the metal from the cpu dislodged and I think that my cpu was accidentally delid. I've boot my pc up then then tested if it works. It works but the temps are really high. How do I fix this? What do I need to buy?
It will never likely cool very well if the heat spreader (lid) has come loose. You can try taking the lid completely off and applying a little TIM (the non-conductive type) on the die and then replacing the lid but I doubt it will work very effectively if at all.

But most important is the heat spreader should have been soldered in place so coming off as it did is a manufacturing defect. I'd get start a claim with AMD to get replacement, assuming it's still in warranty. If not in warranty anymore, at least it's a low-value part.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The 2200G and 2400G use thermal interface material (paste) between the IHS and die. They are not soldered as other Ryzens are.

This doesn't present a problem, but an opportunity. You have 2 options. Contact AMD and get a warranty replacement OR treat the apu like any other delid and follow standard delid procedures to replace the cheap TIM with liquid metal. There's plenty of videos on how-to, you'd just skip the IHS removal section.

Either way, you'll be fixed because as it stands currently, the original TIM should not and cannot be relied upon, just like replacing paste when a cooler is changed or removed.

Solution

I guess they're not soldered then? I wonder this is a (partially) failed attempt at delidding that perhaps OP got hold of?

At any rate, before attempting it OP is well advised to check out LOTS of the liquid metal delidding exploits, especially videos to watch technique used to apply it. Liquid metal isn't easy to work with, does not clean off easily (especially substrates), and will cause permanent damage in the wrong spots under the lid.

I'd just put a tiny drop of high-quality conventional paste on the die and leave it at that since I doubt it will gain anything if not cooling with LN2 anyway.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'm not so sure. If you can snatch a Ryzen out of the socket by just pulling up on the heatsink, it's quite plausible that sooner or later pulling up on the heatsink will mean the pcb stays put, but the IHS doesn't.

Stranger things have happened.