Question CPU acting strange after Mobo change

Fire-Wire

Honorable
Jul 13, 2017
Hey there, cutting to the chase, my old mobo (Gigabyte H110M) decided to die so I changed it for a new one (AsRock B250 Gaming K4). I installed a clean install of Windows, formatted the drivers, did it all squeaky clean and everything sounded superb. Then, I noticed CPU temps going a little higher than normal, I figured it was 'cause the install was fresh so lots of processes were running simultaneously on the background. Ok, time to see if all was okay - started Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (Which is probably the most CPU-intensive game today) - Temps were hitting 96C and game was running crappily like it never did. I undervolted it to -0,080v (which is the lowest it can go before crashing), nothing changed, my CPU was still molten lava and performance was still shitty. Before the change temps would be 75~82C and game would run smoothly 60fps with rare drops to 59~58fps.

With other lighter applications it runs well with higher-than-normal-but-tolerable-temps. But it is sure having a less than desirable performance compared to what it was like with H110M.

My Specs:

Mobo: AsRock B250 Fatal1ty Gaming k4
CPU: i7 7700k 4,4Ghz w/ stock cooler
RAM: 2x8Gb
GPU: Gtx 1060 6Gb

Reputable
Jun 29, 2016
Have you checked the CPU cooler is plugged in to the mobo power slot? Also did you re-apply thermal paste? Especially if it has been left for a while and moved it may not be sufficient and may need cleaning/reapplying.

Fire-Wire

Honorable
Jul 13, 2017
Have you checked the CPU cooler is plugged in to the mobo power slot? Also did you re-apply thermal paste? Especially if it has been left for a while and moved it may not be sufficient and may need cleaning/reapplying.

Yeah, I should have specified that. The cooler is working properly, I also cleaned and reapplied two different thermal pastes (twice - as I thought this could be the culprit) but turns out nothing changed.

Reputable
Jun 29, 2016
Did you install all new drivers for the Mobo? It could just be wrong reading from other posts I've seen this was the issue. It could also be the heat-sink not making contact properly with the cpu but seen as it worked before / you've re-applied thermal paste twice i assume you are doing it correctly

Fire-Wire

Honorable
Jul 13, 2017
Did you install all new drivers for the Mobo? It could just be wrong reading from other posts I've seen this was the issue. It could also be the heat-sink not making contact properly with the cpu but seen as it worked before / you've re-applied thermal paste twice i assume you are doing it correctly

Yeah, like I said, I did it all. But something occurred to me, the H110M is not an OC Mobo, differently from the B250 K4. So is it possible that the new Mobo is forcing some kind of "turbo mode" on the CPU? Cause I can't think of any other reason it is so damn hot all the time.
Granted, I'm brazilian, my room is like 31C, but, hell, it always was like this.

Also good news: the problem with the shitty performance was the RAM. I changed slots and everything seems fine - the only problem left is the inexplicable heat emanating from the CPU.

Hey there, cutting to the chase, my old mobo (Gigabyte H110M) decided to die so I changed it for a new one (AsRock B250 Gaming K4). I installed a clean install of Windows, formatted the drivers, did it all squeaky clean and everything sounded superb. Then, I noticed CPU temps going a little higher than normal, I figured it was 'cause the install was fresh so lots of processes were running simultaneously on the background. Ok, time to see if all was okay - started Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (Which is probably the most CPU-intensive game today) - Temps were hitting 96C and game was running crappily like it never did. I undervolted it to -0,080v (which is the lowest it can go before crashing), nothing changed, my CPU was still molten lava and performance was still shitty. Before the change temps would be 75~82C and game would run smoothly 60fps with rare drops to 59~58fps.

With other lighter applications it runs well with higher-than-normal-but-tolerable-temps. But it is sure having a less than desirable performance compared to what it was like with H110M.

My Specs:

Mobo: AsRock B250 Fatal1ty Gaming k4
CPU: i7 7700k 4,4Ghz w/ stock cooler
RAM: 2x8Gb
GPU: Gtx 1060 6Gb

One problem you have is you're using the 7700K which already has a problem with heat. It's known to run abnormally warm but not deathly hot. It's best to keep the CPU at 79c or lower. I would replace the cooler with something like the Cryorig H7 depending on your case.

Wait one, 7700K with a stock cooler? The K CPU's don't come with a cooler so you can't be using the 7700k's stock cooler because they didn't make one for it. The 7700's cooler isn't designed for the K version.

Fire-Wire

Honorable
Jul 13, 2017
One problem you have is you're using the 7700K which already has a problem with heat. It's known to run abnormally warm but not deathly hot. It's best to keep the CPU at 79c or lower. I would replace the cooler with something like the Cryorig H7 depending on your case.

Wait one, 7700K with a stock cooler? The K CPU's don't come with a cooler so you can't be using the 7700k's stock cooler because they didn't make one for it. The 7700's cooler isn't designed for the K version.

Yeah, I tried a tower cooler but it was too big and didn't attach correctly so I had to return. The thing is, I kind of was able to solve the problem with undervolting (back with the H110m) but now even the undervolt is being unable to stave off the heat. I mean, the only thing that changed was the Mobo, but I can't pinpoin the issue with the increase in heat. I'm just lost :(

Yeah, I tried a tower cooler but it was too big and didn't attach correctly so I had to return. The thing is, I kind of was able to solve the problem with undervolting (back with the H110m) but now even the undervolt is being unable to stave off the heat. I mean, the only thing that changed was the Mobo, but I can't pinpoin the issue with the increase in heat. I'm just lost :(

Which case do you have? Undervolting is just a band-aid but a new cooler will be a solution.

Reactions: Zanathon
I'm sold. I just ordered a cooler that I think may be able to do the job.

As for my case I don't really know its name, its thermaltake, though, and it is not very big/spacious - very standard stuff.

I can go to my case's webpage and see how tall my cooler can be and how long my GPU can be. There is also the issue of TDP. One needs to know the cooler will be able to cool effectively. The obvious compatibility with the motherboard plays a big part as well. Will the cooler block any RAM slots? Compatibility has many variables and it would be nice to know that you covered all the bases and know your cooler will work or else we could be talking again sooner than later. Unfortunately without the case's name it's hard to know.