Question CPU acting up after swapping my HDD for an SSD ?

DH1997

Honorable
Sep 30, 2015
Greetings and salutations everyone,

I hope you guys and gals like strange issues, because I got a bit of a headscratcher here that for the life of me I can't figure out.
(Since installing a new hard drive is about as complicated as playing with Legos, many of us have done it hundreds of times 😁 )

As the title implies, for whatever reason there might be, my CPU is acting up after swapping my Hard Drive for an SSD.
Now by acting up I mean that it is getting way hotter than it used to.
Prior to swapping my drives I'd approximately get the following temperatures:

35 Celcius (95F) Idle on Desktop.
45 Celcius (113F) max. whilst watching videos (on high quality, naturally).
up to 55 Celcius (131F) on a medium load, working on two or three VM's while having some live concert play on a 2nd monitor.
And up to 75 Celcius (167F) while letting someone play games on it.

After the changing the drives I've experienced the following:

45 Celcius (113F) Idle on Desktop, which isn't bad, but out of the ordinary.
65 Celcius (149F) whilst watching videos.
A whopping 78 Celcius (172.5F) whilst merely downloading one of the games they like to play on it.
And well.. I'm not about to even start up a game to see what the temperatures will be like when downloading alone would get my CPU to reach higher temperatures than it usually would when actually running a game.
The usage of my CPU hasn't gotten any higher than 27%, yet it has reached completely new temperatures.

Now here's what I've done so far:

1. I've made sure I had all the most recent drivers installed.
  2. Disabled as much unnecessary background processes as possible.
  3. Made sure the board and components are clean.
  4. Checked the board in case anything was disconnected or not properly connected.
  5. Double checked the fans, they're working quite hard. Which I kind of already knew since the laptop starts wheezing under what is normally a light load.
The minimum RPM to compensate for the heat has been elevated by 500.

Additional info:
  • The thermal paste has been reapplied about a year ago, give or take a few months. So that should be completely fine.
  • The heatsink is properly seated, hasn't come off even slightly.
  • Both the HDD and SSD have all the most recent updates and drivers installed.

DH1997

Honorable
Sep 30, 2015
Hello Ralston18, thank you for your response and my apologies for not providing sufficient information.

I'm guessing by PSU, you may have meant to say CPU. To be certain, I've included details on both the CPU, the adapter and the battery.

The laptop is an MSI GL62 6QF, it is 2.5 years old. So I wouldn't say that it is brand new, but it is in good condition.
The processor is an Intel Core i7 6700HQ, Max TDP 45W. The CPU settings haven't been fiddled around with at all.
The battery, model is BTY-M6H, 10.8V, 41.40Wh/3834mAh.
The power adapter model is ADP-120MH D, the I/O are: Input100-240V ~ 2.2A Output: 19.5V 6.15A. The adapter is just as old as the laptop and in great condition, in fact, it almost looks it's brand new.
The old HDD was a HGST 7K1000, 1TB (7200RPM), which I believe had around 650GB free space.
The current SSD is a Samsung Evo 850, 500 GB, it has 370GB free space.

Hopefully the information above is something you can work with.

Last edited: