[SOLVED] Cpu acting weird after oc with bad psu

Dr.Bob

Prominent
Sep 8, 2021
(with bad psu) When I got cpu i had turned off pbo and other auto oc options in bios and set base clock to 3.8ghz and ram to 3200 mhz (box speed). Had it like that for almost a year no weirdness but recently overclocked my cpu in ryzenmaster to 4.1ghz 1.25V everything was stable and smooth (even during stress test) temps were also good but decided to set bios to default settings so set ryzenmaster to default and it spiked right up to 1.35v 4.1 ghz at idle. HW monitor showed that the 12V was at 9.8 so after research i tested psu it was bad and i changed it. Got a seasonic focus GX 650W 80+ gold (earlier was a cm masterwatt lite v1 600W it sucked ass) ( with seasonic good psu) it didn't fix the voltage problem in hw monitor i'm tired of it all rn and everything uses alot of cpu utilization like anti malware using 25% idle when it max used 6% before. i don't know what to do is my cpu broken?? I'm out of ideas. have not tested voltages on my seasonic psu but i bet they're good since it's showing 9.9v in hwmonitor now (Before ryzenmaster auto defauly settings it showed stable 12v). Also core 0 is at 90-100% utilization on idle constant 4.1 ghz boost 1.35v idle got 8021 multicore on cinebench r23 :/ http://prntscr.com/1sbn46u http://prntscr.com/1sbn6t4 screens of hwmonitor after cinebench test.
Specs: r5 3600 gtx9602gb b450 rog strix gaming-e 3200 corsair vengeance lpx c16 Seasonic 650w Focus Gx

Solution
(with bad psu) When I got cpu i had turned off pbo and other auto oc options in bios and set base clock to 3.8ghz and ram to 3200 mhz (box speed). Had it like that for almost a year no weirdness but recently overclocked my cpu in ryzenmaster to 4.1ghz 1.25V everything was stable and smooth (even during stress test) temps were also good but decided to set bios to default settings so set ryzenmaster to default and it spiked right up to 1.35v 4.1 ghz at idle. HW monitor showed that the 12V was at 9.8 so after research i tested psu it was bad and i changed it. Got a seasonic focus GX 650W 80+ gold (earlier was a cm masterwatt lite v1 600W it sucked ass) ( with seasonic good psu) it didn't fix the voltage problem in hw monitor i'm tired...
(with bad psu) When I got cpu i had turned off pbo and other auto oc options in bios and set base clock to 3.8ghz and ram to 3200 mhz (box speed). Had it like that for almost a year no weirdness but recently overclocked my cpu in ryzenmaster to 4.1ghz 1.25V everything was stable and smooth (even during stress test) temps were also good but decided to set bios to default settings so set ryzenmaster to default and it spiked right up to 1.35v 4.1 ghz at idle. HW monitor showed that the 12V was at 9.8 so after research i tested psu it was bad and i changed it. Got a seasonic focus GX 650W 80+ gold (earlier was a cm masterwatt lite v1 600W it sucked ass) ( with seasonic good psu) it didn't fix the voltage problem in hw monitor i'm tired of it all rn and everything uses alot of cpu utilization like anti malware using 25% idle when it max used 6% before. i don't know what to do is my cpu broken?? I'm out of ideas. have not tested voltages on my seasonic psu but i bet they're good since it's showing 9.9v in hwmonitor now (Before ryzenmaster auto defauly settings it showed stable 12v). Also core 0 is at 90-100% utilization on idle constant 4.1 ghz boost 1.35v idle got 8021 multicore on cinebench r23 :/ http://prntscr.com/1sbn46u http://prntscr.com/1sbn6t4 screens of hwmonitor after cinebench test.
Specs: r5 3600 gtx9602gb b450 rog strix gaming-e 3200 corsair vengeance lpx c16 Seasonic 650w Focus Gx
It could be it's acting "weird" because you've completely messed up it's correct operation with illogical BIOS settings. After all, what's "not weird" when you do that.

I'd say just put it on Auto...voltage and clocks...and let it work the way it should. Or better yet, maybe just reset CMOS and see what it does. If then it's "not weird" go back to your settings and adjust to what your new normal is.

When set up stock it's perfectly normal and by design for the CPU to boost to as high as 1.5V in 'light threaded bursty workloads' (as AMD puts it) and to boost to rated boost clocks of 4.2Ghz whenever possible. If it's doing it constantly then it's not heavy workloads, it's most likely just background Windows tasks getting processed. Things like indexing, Windows Update checking in and DL'g updates in background, defragging/optimizing on schedule or any of the several hundred processes that are open constantly even when doing nothing in the foreground.

How did you test the PSU? +12V should be within +/-10% or 10.8-13.2V so I'd agree 9.8V wouldn't be 'good' but I'm not confident in HWMonitor either since it only reports the superIO monitoring chipset. Also, the brand new Seasonic is reading 9.9V which would mean it too is bad if that's accurate and believable.

EDIT: Wait...what's that i saw...5.2Ghz max clocks in one of those HWMonitor scrapes? I'd have to say definitely do a CMOS reset and start fresh. Also dump HWMonitor and get HWInfo64. And also uninstall RyzenMaster; it's a tool for extreme overclockers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution
You probably need a bios update and different monitoring software.
5.2 ghz on a 3600 is near impossible on air cooling.
On ryzen voltages and temps will be all over the place. DO NOT expect it to act like older AMD/INTEL processors with somewhat constant voltages and slow ramping temperatures.
Your voltages in the screen shot are spot on for a 3600 but the 5.2 ghz is questionable.
Asus boards are known to report wrong voltages in HWMonitor.
So try HWinfo64 or Ryzen Master for windows, and you can check in bios.
Run as administrator and choose sensors only.

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master

Reactions: Phaaze88