[SOLVED] CPU AIR/AIO Cooler selection issue with 150 mm cabinet clearance ! [India]

Vishal_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2015
I built a desktop with future upgrade of CPU and adding GPU kept in mind with following specs:
CPU: RYZEN 3 2200G [3.725Ghz/ 1.330 VOLTAGE]
GPU: INTEGRATED VEGA GPU [ 1320MHz ] with 1.22V
RAM: CORSAIR 8GBX2 SINGLE RANK 2933MHz 16-20-20-38 TIMINGS @ 1.35V
SSD: ADATA SU650 480GB
MOTHERBOARD: MSI B450M PRO-VDH
SMPS/PSU: CORSAIR CX450
MONITOR: BENQ GW2280
CABINET: CORSAIR SPEC-04 BLACK (CULPRIT) Max CPU cooler height 150mm
The stock cooler is not working out good. Especially in India where room temp is 26-27C and outside reaching 40+ in summer. So i want to go with aftermarket cooler. There is a long debate which can never end between air and AIO cooler. Most prefer air as to be safe from AIO leaks.But AIO cooler users say that % is very low with current gen.

For me I first tried to go with air but [150mm cooler max height ] is a issue due to the cabinet. Now I cannot buy both as I'm saving for GPU and CPU. I went to forums looking for cooler within 150mm but those are not available at all in India [ CRYORIG H7, Scythe etc]. So I went both online and offline(in Bangalore,India) to find the cooler which can fit in my case.

Here are some results and I'm having trouble choosing one as of money constraint [want to settle in Rs.4500 / $64 but Rs.5218 / $75 maxed out ] and also I want to select one which will be useful for R5 2600x/ R7 1700 (equivalent in Ryzen 3000 series). I know I might be early asking this but consider it for R5 2600x/ R7 1700 and NOT only for 2200G.
Here are the one's which I shortlisted.
ze2glwusxzs21.png

There are some [?] places which I was unable to find data. If you can help me then please do complete it as well. So coming to the question , which one is good to go with ?
Really sorry for the long post but I need some answers.Thank you for being with me till here and thanks in advance for all the answers.

Solution
Way more research than the typical post. That is to be lauded.

Leaks with AIO are somewhat uncommon, though I have had one do it. More typical is pump failure. And there really is no cooling provided at that point. With an air cooler you at least have the heatsink and other fans for passive cooling.

Sounds like you want to save money and get good cooling for a future processor. Those might be mutually exclusive goals.

NH-U9S is a solid choice.

Deepcool Gammaxx S40 is a very popular budget choice. That might be a good option if you just want a temporary solution. Always good to have a spare. If you then proceed to get an AIO you have a fallback position beyond the stock cooler.

There are only a few water cooling manufacturers, so if...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

Leaks with AIO are somewhat uncommon, though I have had one do it. More typical is pump failure. And there really is no cooling provided at that point. With an air cooler you at least have the heatsink and other fans for passive cooling.

Sounds like you want to save money and get good cooling for a future processor. Those might be mutually exclusive goals.

Deepcool Gammaxx S40 is a very popular budget choice. That might be a good option if you just want a temporary solution. Always good to have a spare. If you then proceed to get an AIO you have a fallback position beyond the stock cooler.

There are only a few water cooling manufacturers, so if they look similar they probably are similar. Gammaxx L120 looks an awful lot like the NZXT Kraken M22. Besides all the TDP numbers are basically installation suggestions, you can't trust them to measure their own performance. Most of the time they select numbers that put them in the range of the sockets they are trying to support. The ones that make claims under 65W are the ones you have to pay attention to. They don't want people under-buying and making themselves liable for toasted CPUs.

You can probably put the Antec in the same range as the S40 if it is the A40 Pro. Not sure about the A40 though. Practically the same product, though Deepcool staggered their heat pipes which is typically considered a better design.

Solution

Vishal_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2015

There are only a few water cooling manufacturers, so if they look similar they probably are similar. Gammaxx L120 looks an awful lot like the NZXT Kraken M22. Besides all the TDP numbers are basically installation suggestions, you can't trust them to measure their own performance. Most of the time they select numbers that put them in the range of the sockets they are trying to support. The ones that make claims under 65W are the ones you have to pay attention to. They don't want people under-buying and making themselves liable for toasted CPUs.

You can probably put the Antec in the same range as the S40 if it is the A40 Pro. Not sure about the A40 though. Practically the same product, though Deepcool staggered their heat pipes which is typically considered a better design.
Firstly thank you for replying :) Every time I asked this on other forums they said about CRYORIG and SCYTHE only. So made my point clear before hand itself.

Is it good to go with 92 mm cooler than 120 mm ? 92 mm will make noise more than 120 i believe. I think S440, A40 Pro(is A40 and A40 PRO same ?) are for 2200G as you suggested ? Even I still want to go with AIO then which one would you choose from the above chart ?
What is your opinion about CHIPTRONEX Diffuser X500 ?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
92mm fans will spin faster to produce the same airflow, so in that regard they can be louder. But if the heatsink is more effective then it won't need to spin the fan as quickly.

I'm not sure if the A40 and A40 Pro are the same product. The former may just be a discontinued part that didn't sell well within its price bracket.

All of the coolers you have selected will be adequate coolers for anything on the Ryzen platform. If you intend overclocking, some of them are less suitable. All of the AIO will be enough for a mild to moderate overclock. Same with the more expensive air coolers in your list. (Possible expection of the low-profile noctua, I'm sure it is decent, but only in its class of downdraft coolers)

Vishal_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2015
92mm fans will spin faster to produce the same airflow, so in that regard they can be louder. But if the heatsink is more effective then it won't need to spin the fan as quickly.

I'm not sure if the A40 and A40 Pro are the same product. The former may just be a discontinued part that didn't sell well within its price bracket.

All of the coolers you have selected will be adequate coolers for anything on the Ryzen platform. If you intend overclocking, some of them are less suitable. All of the AIO will be enough for a mild to moderate overclock. Same with the more expensive air coolers in your list. (Possible expection of the low-profile noctua, I'm sure it is decent, but only in its class of downdraft coolers)
What is your opinion about CHIPTRONEX Diffuser X500 ? I am planning to go with this for 2600x.

corsair h45 has pump noise issue.
cooler master masterliquid lite 120 has performance issues
deepcool maelstorm has leaked pump failed issues(Alot)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
5 direct contact heat pipes, but only three are really going to be in contact with the CPU. Not a smooth base. I've used coolers like that in the past, they work well enough if you liberally apply thermal compound (you want to fill the gaps between the pipes)

120mm radiators aren't typically known for their amazing performance. The cheap ones are the minimum they could get away with and still call it a cooler, somewhat reflected in the output.

Problem with almost any online review is that you see a majority of negatives. Positive experiences are not noteworthy. That could have been the result of one mishap at the factory and the problem has since been fixed, but those reviews will be out there forever basically.