[SOLVED] CPU air cooler for Silverstone RL06 case

Jun 7, 2019
Am looking for a high performance air cooler to fit. I wanted the Noctua D15, however, the specs look like Noctua isn't an option. According to Newegg the Max CPU Cooler Height Allowance is 158mm. Any suggestions for a premium cooler that performs like a Noctua that fits? Many thanks.

Solution
@Happy Pig Demon : I could not thank you enough for your very thorough answer. The reason I want to go with this case is that it's really cheap and very air-friendly cooling. I think NH-U12A is a decent cooler for an overclocked CPU at high-end side. However, it's a little bit pricey for me though. I am thinking about not getting an unlocked chip to save money and the hassle with Noctua.
Jun 7, 2019
Its the RL06WS-W and AMD cpu.

Ah OK then. The Noctua NH-U12,(S),(A) coolers fit. Excellent! Very good news. Thanks for that link to that tool Beermann. Cheers.

Last edited:
Its the RL06WS-W and AMD cpu.

Ah OK then. The Noctua NH-U12,(S),(A) coolers fit. Excellent! Very good news. Thanks for that link to that tool Beermann. Cheers.

I don't know which AMD CPU you are trying to cool, but also have a look at the Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B. Very good fan , though not quite up to Noctua quality, but very quiet and I think cools a bit better than the Noctua U12 models.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8GBrxr/scythe-mugen-5-rev-b-512-cfm-cpu-cooler-scmg-5100

https://www.scytheus.com/aircooler-mugen5

Jun 7, 2019
I'm going to get the 3800x and put it on the b450 tomahawk. The low profile ones look like they'll get in the way of the ram as I've picked up some FlareX 3200cl14 and they are pretty beefy compared to other ram I've seen and I'd like to be able to throw 2 more in there in the future. It's like, pick one, close clearance against the side of the case or close clearance on the ram/pci slot. Man I wished I had known this going in and chose my case more wisely. I can't just sell the case now since I've drilled holes in the front to fit the Noctua silicon mounts for the x3 NF-F12's. Grrr.

Jun 7, 2019
@Happy Pig Demon : Hi, I am really interested in this case. How does Noctua NH U12S fit in your RL06 case ? Does glass panel touch the cooler ?
After much fingernail biting I went with the Noctua NH-U12A.
From what I can see it is identical to the Noctua NH U12S except it has the new NF-A12 fans on it instead of the normal NF-F12 fans.
It fits but you couldn't fit more than a piece of paper between it and the panel.
In the end I can say that this case is really nice for air cooling. I put a NF-F12 in the bottom slot of the front with the low noise attachment on it since it blows into the drive slots. This keeps the RPMs from ramping up on it which I was worried about with the air flow obstruction there. I used 2 more of those fans, without the low noise cable, one on the exhaust and one in the upper corner next to it, both blowing out. And the other two slots on the front I put the NF-A12 fans in, blowing in. Then the cooler has 2 fans on it. I didn't put a fan in the other top slot as it looks like it may prematurely pull air out before it blows across the mobo, but I'm considering putting one in there later on and checking the thermals with and without to check that, a NF-F12.
I did put a double sided heat sink on my Inland nvme too.
All in all, even gaming, nothing gets close to overheating. The VRM, the RAM, everything runs at good temps. Pretty impressive. This case does perform and no need for the noctua d-15 at the end of the day.
If you go with this case I can tell you the case fans really suck and have a high pitch. I suppose all stock fans do that really. But its worth keeping that in mind when choosing which model of the RL-06 you pick up. Some come with 3 fans in the front+exhaust, and the slightly cheaper one only has exhaust. If you don't want to buy fans be sure to pick the right one or vice versa.
It is a bit tougher than others to do cable management but I didn't cuss too much so its not awful there.
Hope this helps. I know its more than you asked but I wanted to be thorough lol.

Jul 31, 2019
@Happy Pig Demon : I could not thank you enough for your very thorough answer. The reason I want to go with this case is that it's really cheap and very air-friendly cooling. I think NH-U12A is a decent cooler for an overclocked CPU at high-end side. However, it's a little bit pricey for me though. I am thinking about not getting an unlocked chip to save money and the hassle with Noctua.

Solution