CPU air fan attached properly?

Panos Beltis

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015
I got a new fan yesterday, and I really want to save the trouble of traveling to the store and pay the guy who made my computer to install the fan and the gpu on my pc. So, I really want to ask of you...what happens If I dare to install the new fan on my cpu and it happens to NOT get attached properly right? Is my pc gonna explode or something? Like fry everything? Is the cpu going to be destroyed when opened? Any burning components here and there?

Truth is, I finished computer studies years ago and I worked on that field for 5 months kinda-ish. And one day, I had an accident when building a computer for a customer. Well, I wasn't in front of the accident when it happened, I just build the computer like I usually did back then, and I closed everything and gone - it was my time to go for the day - I cleared the desk, put everything in order, and I left a note/also told my superiors and coworker that I will be back tomorrow to test out the computer and let them know. When I gone, half an hour the coworker opened it and tried to continue everything so the motherboard along with the cpu were fried or something. The next day, the boss was mad at me for making "that" mistake and he told me to never work or screw any component again in my life. And from that day, I'm really afraid about that.

^Sorry for the long post, here is my actual issue : I want to know what will happen If the air fan is not 100% attached right to the cpu. If there are problems or anything. I want to face my fear, and try to attach that new fan to my computer. I want to finally have control over my pc, I want to learn to take care of it. I know how to make the fan, I saw thousands of videos with different people showing parts and stuff, I know how or when it must be attached, I even see that in my sleep. Thing is, I don't know what happens If I do a mistake, and I'm afraid to do a mistake because I don't have other money to buy another product or pc.

I know, this sounds extremely stupid, but....I think I want to take the advice of someone who works with computers and has more and wider experience than me. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks for your time.

Solution
No, you will be fine. All you need to do is check the CPU temperature straight after putting in the new cooler, nothing should break.
CPUs will turn themselves off before the damage themselves with heat.

Benab3

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
Hey,

Although mounting a CPU cooler incorrectly is not common, it does happen. It can be down to bad mounting hardware or just a mistake. Either way, as long as you monitor what is going on temperature wise, nothing bad will happen. Even if you forget to monitor the temperatures and it does overheat, your computer should shut down to not take any damage.

Benab3

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
No, you will be fine. All you need to do is check the CPU temperature straight after putting in the new cooler, nothing should break.
CPUs will turn themselves off before the damage themselves with heat.

Solution

Panos Beltis

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015
Ok, so, you're saying that I can dare to try and mount the air fan on my cpu and If I mount it wrong or anything, it won't burn/damaged, but it will just shut down to prevent overheating, is that right?

Another thing, do I have to de-mount / take out the whole motherboard and everything else on it - rams/gpu - just to mount the air fan? Or I can do the same work while it's in the case?

Benab3

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
Yes, the PC will not take damage, and even if it is mounted badly, the chances are you wont reach near the dangerous temperatures.

You will not need to take out the motherboard, but sometimes ram can get in the way. All of the work can be done in the case.

Just make sure you follow the coolers manual, as you will miss likely need to install a backplate.

Panos Beltis

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015
Backplate? What is that? I'm watching this guy here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EElydiSH3qY

One thing I've noticed, is that he didn't used thermal paste on the cpu. But I speculate it's because he just wanted to show on video how to easy and fast install the air fan.

PS - I got the exact air fan model the hyper evo tx3, I know how to install it's parts now, I just need a screwdriver. And I must find some pure alcohol or something to clean the used paste.

Thank you for your answers, I'll leave this open for a while to get one more opinion from someone else and then I'll choose an answer, but, really...what is a backplate?

Many people mess up cooler installation, especially the Intel stock cooler. The most confusing part is the fact that the pushpin arrows point in the direction to unlock and remove the cooler, not to lock it in place. The opposite direction is for locking in place. This happened to me. First, all the pushpins were loose. The result was temperatures of 90C under just moderate load. So I pushed them down, without realizing that they were still turned the wrong way. Temps went to 70C under moderate load and 90C under heavy load.

After realizing the mistake, I removed the cooler, put on new thermal paste, and now temperatures are not passing up 51C under an extreme stress test.

I am confused with your story: how did you "fry" the motherboard?

Panos Beltis

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015
Well, I'll tell you everything I remember from that day, it's been already like three years now.

1. I got all the parts.
2. I cleaned and prepared my work desk.
3. Opened the case.
4. Opened the items.
5. Mounted the motherboard and the psu gently. - screwed them right on the case.
6. Mounted hdd, then cpu and cooler, then rams then gpu.
7. Connected every cable/usb and power cables on every right position without wrong moves.
8. Closed the case.
9. Put every box in order, cleaned my desk, got ready the computer with the screen.
10. My time was up, actually it was already overdue, because I was working already for one and a half hour more out of my schedule agreement, I was doing this on my own for some days just to help more on the store.
11. I left a note on the computer "It's ready and connected, power button is closed, I'll be back tomorrow to finish my test."
12. I told my coworker about it, I pointed it at him, he nodded, I told my bosses also, and they said "ok" and I've gone home.
13. Next day, when I got in the store, my boss was really and insanely angry at me, he yelled " Never ever dare to touch again any component or screw anything. "
14. I went to the lab underground the store, and I saw my desk was full of mesh, cigarettes, plastics, screws, cables, screwdrivers here and there, the hdd also, etc etc, and the motherboard on the wall - screwed - just to be a lesson for me to remember everyday how bad I was as a student/worker.
15. After examining the motherboard, the cpu socket had some scratches, like something with claws scratched on it.
16. I asked everyone at work, and the coworker who was also my teacher kinda, told me it was my fault, he opened to finish the test without me, just to make sure I did everything right, and he said that it had a burnout or something and the cpu was not installed properly or something like that, and it destroyed all the components.

From that day onward, I consider myself useless, until today, and I'm really afraid of touching anything, that's why I'm asking.

Now hold on a second. Seems like an investigation at hand. You said, and I quote, that you "got ready the computer with the screen." Does that mean you actually turned on the computer after you built it, and it worked and you saw the video on the screen? Or is that not what you are saying? And what cooler are we talking about here? The Intel stock cooler?

Panos Beltis

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015
Sorry, I meant, I connected everything with the tv screen/monitor, but I never opened the computer, not even from the power button. I never run the test, I never opened it, it was supposed to be my responsibility until tomorrow, but the order came late when I was about to leave, and they told me to stay and make half the work today and the other work tomorrow If I wanted, so I stayed and did everything as I said.

I don't think you did anything wrong, I think your "teacher" coworker guy screwed something up and tried to pin it on you. Here is how I think it went down:

After you left the building that night, your coworker opened the computer and checked everything out. Seeing that all was good, he turned the computer on, and due to a faulty power supply, it sparked and possibly caught fire. The power supply was just faulty probably. Your coworker, probably not knowing as much as he thinks, thought you had done something wrong, so he blamed you. He got extremely angry, then they tore apart the computer, and somebody scratched the processor with the screw driver in the frenzy.

I don't think you did anything wrong. As long as you simply put the Intel stock cooler into the holes and locked down the push pins, there is probably absolutely nothing you did wrong. I have a feeling there was some other crap going on behind your back you were not told about. But anyway, that is all in the past. What is your current question? What are you currently lost about?

Panos Beltis

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015
I think so too, because me and my teacher/coworker weren't so close at some point, because he was an ass with me and sometimes we were saying bad things to each other, but he was always the type of " I don't give a shit about you and your tries ", anyway, you're right, what happened is on the past, guess I'll never know.

My problem atm is, If I install the new air fan model I got, IF it's not installed properly with those little pins, then what happens to the cpu? Is it gonna get fryed when I turn it on? I'm really afraid if anything is going to happen.

No, it won't get fried. Did you not read my story some posts above?

Many people mess up cooler installation, especially the Intel stock cooler. The most confusing part is the fact that the pushpin arrows point in the direction to unlock and remove the cooler, not to lock it in place. The opposite direction is for locking in place. This happened to me. First, all the pushpins were loose. The result was temperatures of 90C under just moderate load. So I pushed them down, without realizing that they were still turned the wrong way. Temps went to 70C under moderate load and 90C under heavy load.

After realizing the mistake, I removed the cooler, put on new thermal paste, and now temperatures are not passing up 51C under an extreme stress test.

If a cooler is loose, it should still cool the CPU some, just not well. When temperatures get too high, the CPU downclocks to save itself usually.

Panos Beltis

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015
Ah, yes I read about it, just wanted to make sure, then I guess it won't really be the end of the world If I dare to try to install my hyper evo tx3 cooler. I'll get every possible hope and courage I have and I'll try to do it. The gpu installation seems way easier than this. XD hahaha

I think CPU cooler installation is the most difficult part of building a computer. Sometimes it can be a tad confusing (so I hear about some aftermarket coolers), and getting the right amount of thermal paste, too. But as long as you follow the manual, nothing should go wrong.

Panos Beltis

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015
Thanks! I know I have to use an alcohol 90% or more to wipe out the used thermal paste, and then apply a pear shape one with the new thermal paste and then connect right the aftermarket cooler on the cpu. I'll read the instructions, I think both the instructions and the many videos I've seen will be great help when I try to install this fan. I hope I can see some results. Thank you again guys! I really appreciate your help!

Yep, 90% will work fine! You could even use less than 90%, as long as you let the water evaporate (which usually happens very quickly). People usually recommend a pea-size dot, but an actual pea (not sure if you eat peas) is a bit large IMO. A bit smaller than a pea is better, like a lentil.

Panos Beltis

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015
Do I need to remove the battery off my motherboard to change it? And what happens If I use a little bit of water with a toilet paper? I don't have the coffee filters/isopropyl thing to remove it effectively.

No you do not need to remove the CMOS battery. You should buy coffee filters and isopropyl. It'll be like $5. It's best to use the proper stuff. Toilet paper is a bad idea, it leaves behind lint, especially wet toilet paper.