CPU all cores 100% when I boot up computer

Fishbulb02

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Hi all, I've been having this problem as of late and I don't know what is causing it.

I have a quad cores system and it NEVER used to do this until a few weeks ago, I boot up the computer and all of a sudden all 4 of my cores are near max and my sound jumps all over the place, like a lot of distortion... I scan my computer regularly and I am not idiot enough to let spyware or any programs of that nature to make its way onto my computer. I've checked my task manager and I only ever have about 20 running at start up... that are the normal ones.

What could be happening here? My CPU usage drops down to normal levels (less than 5% each) after about 10 minutes of the computer being on.

It's mind boggling.

PS: Like right now, CPU3 is maxed, CPU 2 is half maxed, and CPU 1 is empty, while CPU 0 is 30.

PPS: Also, when all of this is happening, my CPU temperature is up to about 50 Celsius, when NORMAL levels are 30 and below. After about 10 minutes or so, when the CPU usage goes down, so does the temperatures.

Any help from you fine folks would be greatly appreciated.

Windows 7, home premium, 64-bit
AMD Phenom, Quad Core 2.4ghz
4GB ram

I want to stress that this has not happened since before the time I have specified up above, this computer has always been treated well.

Fishbulb02

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
I looked through processes for all users, it came up with 49 each start up and all of them are below 50k, with the exception of a few svchost.exe's which hover just under 80k. Nothing looked out of the ordinary, unless I am missing something here.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008

Hi Fishbulb02 :hello: ...I have had a similar problem to yours,but with my Vista Ultimate x32 SP1 updated to SP2 on a asus p5kc board with lga775 using a e8500 with old stepping & 2 x 1 gb of ocz ram in an open case...I had kind of a little longer then my old xp pro till system would calm down after booting up this vista...Now it takes a whole lot longer,especially after letting some outside world onto to it :pt1cable: ...The outside world was driver updates,bios update (bios update seemed to do little though to raise trouble) & service pack update...service pack 2 update I bought through eBay burned onto a cd...While bios & drivers I downloaded from asus site & burned them onto a cd & installed them onto my pc...As for the heat I do not know...The way how I know I had trouble was when I started to notice that the cpu & ram meter that is hooked up onto the side gadget bar would give fairly high readings all the time especially at boot up time till about 10 to 15 minutes later & it would calm down :pt1cable: ...You never know,you could have the same problem as I have,because you have a windows 7 operating system...Since windows 7 is regarded as a washover of windows vista...I have had this up for over a year now,in fact 13 months or more :pt1cable: ...I have installed other stuff on it,but that stuff is just games on cd,dvd & all for gaming & learning :) ...So could be the drivers are not the best either & also the sp 2 caused some trouble...If your system is offline then you may have my problem,but if it is online you would have worse problems then what I had when I was online maybe :pt1cable: ...That is why I go online with xp & offline with vista :) ...Sorry I can't be of any real help to you,but since I have got a similar problem I thought I would mention it :pt1cable: ...

Fishbulb02

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Checking out the resource monitor the services CPU usage spiked to 219% for 3 seconds and back down to 45% whereas the processes CPU usage hovers between 30-65.

Also notable, I notice in the processes window in the CPU monitor, that 4 or 5 processes that are running spike from 10 CPU to 24 CPU out of nowhere are labeled under networkservice, network location awareness, netman, iphelper, dnscache etc.

Click on the top of the CPU % column and have it rank the processes by order of usage in descending order.....look up the processes using a web search and see what they are ..... this used to be common with expired Norton licenses but I haven't seen it in a while.

cbui052

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Try cleaning the fan. Lots of dust gather and accumulate over time creating this insulation inside your computer. I think it explains why the core temperature is 50 celcius. Use a strong air pressure to blast your fans if you don't want to uninstall your fan.