[SOLVED] CPU always between 95-100c, even when switching cooling method

Aug 12, 2020
Hello, so I recently built 7 identical computers for my business, and one of them seems to be having a bit of an issue with cooling after 6 months of standard use.
The CPU reports temperatures between 95 and 100c on all cores even simply running clean windows. When doing anything remotely cpu-related, the system will stutter and freeze horribly, but never bluescreen. (I assume some sort of performance throttling)
Convinced it was the low-profile cooler or its fan (even though all other builds were fine with it), I replaced it with a closed loop water cooling system to test. Same thing, over 95c on all cores. I'm pretty sure it's not the cooler or its installation, but if it isn't then what can it be? Could it be the motherboard socket thermal sensor malfunctioning and prematurely throttling the CPU?
Thank you for any help. I'd like sme insight before going with a full motherboard swap.

CPU: i7-9700k
Cooler: NH-L9I (Swapped to H60)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE B360M DS3H

Solution
You'll Mebe not like this, but what you have is a cpu and a pc. One of them is out of whack, but you have the means to figure out exactly what. I'd suggest you swap the cpu with one in a known working pc, assuming they are all similar. Change NO settings in bios.
If the new cpu performs as it should in the questionable pc, and the cpu in question has the same issues as prior in the other pc, the cpu is bunk, somehow.
If the new cpu skyrockets like the old cpu did, and the old cpu is back to normal in the new pc, then theres an issue with the old pc. Could be sensor, could be settings in OS or bios

But at least you'll know what and where to look for.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
NH-L9i wasn't adequate for a 9700K to begin with, and you pretty much swapped to a slightly better - but still inadequate, cooler.

What could've changed in 6 months? :unsure:
Dust?
Changed Windows power plan to performance by mistake?
Changed bios settings my mistake?
Unknowningly downloaded a power virus, or some seemingly harmless 3rd party app, that's now making the 9700K work harder than normal, which at the same time, is showing just how ineffective your chosen cooling solutions are for this cpu...

I agree with Phaaze88 thats not a great cooler for a Core i7 9700K. also the H60 is better but not soo much, still is wierd you see it reaching 95°C.

Are you sure the H60 is well monuted?, with all cables connected?, and heatsink protective sticker removed?

Could it be that that pump is defective?, Have you tried to feel with your hand if the pump is working?, Have you set the pump to 100% in BIOS?

Did you removed the CPU power limits in BIOS? MCE enable?

Aug 12, 2020
I'm not sure why you think the cooling is inadequate? Especially for the H60. The CPU is not OC'd and actually reaches nowhere near 100% load at any time in it's normal use. On average it's probably 15% loaded.

None of the other computers have a problem with the low profile coolers, on idle they average about 40c, during full artificial load they just barely hit 80c. The problem computer is hitting 100c at idle on both the Noctua and H60.

Aug 12, 2020
As for modifications, viruses, etc, unless those settings can set themselves automatically, nothing was changed. No one uses the computers as a user (they don't even have keyboards/mice). So something either broke (including the h60 pump) or is reporting wrong.

I'll stick the low profile back on and do some more tests, since I didn't check to see if the fan was actually broken before pulling the cooler off and replacing it with the H60.

As for modifications, viruses, etc, unless those settings can set themselves automatically, nothing was changed. No one uses the computers as a user (they don't even have keyboards/mice). So something either broke (including the h60 pump) or is reporting wrong.

I'll stick the low profile back on and do some more tests, since I didn't check to see if the fan was actually broken before pulling the cooler off and replacing it with the H60.

If you wana check if the noctua fan is working just plug the thing onto any empty fan header on the mobo!

InvalidError

Titan
Do you have this computers runing on some sort of very well cooled room (AA) with doors close and all that?, like some sort of server room perhaps?
If the CPU is hitting 90+C running "clean Windows" which I presume means idle even after multiple attempts at using different cooling methods, then there must be something horribly wrong going on there such as the IHS separating from the CPU die, VRM sending higher voltage than requested by the CPU or possibly a defective CPU.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'm not sure why you think the cooling is inadequate? Especially for the H60.
Because people can't keep it cool with the popular Cooler Master Hyper 212, which is stronger than the NH-L9i, and basically the same performance tier as the H60 - that's how I know.

The CPU is not OC'd and actually reaches nowhere near 100% load at any time in it's normal use. On average it's probably 15% loaded.
How was I supposed to know this, when your initial post omits it?
The more details, the better.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You'll Mebe not like this, but what you have is a cpu and a pc. One of them is out of whack, but you have the means to figure out exactly what. I'd suggest you swap the cpu with one in a known working pc, assuming they are all similar. Change NO settings in bios.
If the new cpu performs as it should in the questionable pc, and the cpu in question has the same issues as prior in the other pc, the cpu is bunk, somehow.
If the new cpu skyrockets like the old cpu did, and the old cpu is back to normal in the new pc, then theres an issue with the old pc. Could be sensor, could be settings in OS or bios

But at least you'll know what and where to look for.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts