Question CPU always HOT, can Windows power plan HELP?

weatherphobia

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
i5-4570 is the CPU.

If I lower the maximum processor state in Windows power plan would this bring done my CPU temps?

If So, what PERCENT would be a good starting point for the maximum state?

thanks!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, it would bring down temps. Maximum processor state is how fast windows will let the pc run. 100% is default, you paid for an i5-4570 and Windows is going to let the cpu run like its a i5-4570. By lowering maximum processor state, your pc will no longer run like a 4570, more like a 4330 or a 3570 or even a 3220, depending on how low you go. So if you want a really slow pc, go ahead and lower it.

What you haven't done is address the issue, you just attempted to use a band-aid on the problem. What cooler are you using, how long has it been hot, when was the last time you actually cleaned the dirt out of the heatsink, what are the temps and situations you consider hot?

weatherphobia

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
Define "hot".

What CPU cooler do you use?
When was the last time you took the PC outside and blew all the dust out?

ZALMAN cooler, forget the model# it's the own with copper colored fins in circle and a fan blowing inward toward the rest of the fins.

IDLES @ 47-50 C and playing videos or 10 Tabs open in Firefox as high as 65C
Also it has never, winter/summer/cool room/nothing loaded, never been below 40C, ever

ZALMAN cooler, forget the model# it's the own with copper colored fins in circle and a fan blowing inward toward the rest of the fins.

Also it has never, winter/summer/cool room/nothing loaded, never been below 40C, ever
These temperatures look fine to me - I guess the one you don't like is the 40°C idle, it's probably your CPU fan profile which is set to minimum until the CPU goes over 50°C. You should be able to tinker with it in the BIOS, however that will trade some moderate heat (because 40°C IS moderate for that CPU) for some audible noise.
My advice : leave as-is.

USAFRet

Titan

That is absolutely not "hot".

As said above, maybe mess around with your fan curve.

But this does NOT indicate you should reduce the performance by reducing the voltage.

And those Zalman copper things are mostly looks and so-so cooling.