[SOLVED] [CPU] AMD FX 8350 Overheating

Mar 23, 2019
Hi there!

I just installed a brand new AMD FX 8350 yesterday, was mega super careful and all! It's in correctly and I'm using stock heatsink. I did not mess with the BIOS or overclock at all, and have no intention of overclocking at this time.

Idle Temps: 45-50
Basic / Light Use Temps: 50-60
Heavy Use Temps: 75-80+

I want to be able to play Rainbow 6 Siege, Overwatch, and VRchat without worrying my CPU is going to fry.
Will liquid cooling help me get 30C while idle? Should I buy fans?

Stock heatsink came with thermal paste already applied. Did not touch it at all.

Ideas?

CPU: AMD FX 8350 (Previously the FX 6350)
Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming
GPU: GTX 750Ti
PSU: EVGA 650w 80+ Bronze
Ram: DDR3 8gb (2x4) Kingston Hyper X Fury

PC ran super smooth and well when I was using the 6350 without overheating, but I'm going to be upgrading my graphics and didn't want to bottleneck, so I upgraded CPU first.

With an AIO you don't really need extra case fans.
You should get case fans when you have a normal Heat Sink and Fan.
when you say 80+ how hot?
The silicon and adhesives used in manufacturing these processors has a peak temperature rating of 97+ Celsius before any form of degradation will take place. The processor also has a thermal shut off safe guard in place that shuts the processor down at 90 Celsius.

Mar 23, 2019
You refer to "purchasing additional case fans" but do not list what case you are using or the current cooling scheme for the case.

If your case has adequate cooling a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is plenty for a stock FX-8350.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099
Oooh right! I have absolutely no extra cooling within the case. I think there is a fan inside of the power supply and the heatsink has the fan that is on it. That's how my step dad set it up for me four years ago, but I haven't started upgrading or changing anything until now. Currently using a Raidmax Trinity case.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
Maybe you need better thermal paste, the stuff that comes pre applied Ive found isn't always the best. I have a AMD FX6300 with a cooler master hyper 212 Evo and my CPU idle runs around 15 degree, Ive seen it as low as 8 degree, max at full load is around 27 degree. I dont think extra fans in the case would help the CPU unless the whole unit is getting so hot that the extra heat cannot escape. I personally would try reapplying new thermal paste and see how well that does . your case is similar to mine and although I do have 3 other fans installed ( one out the back and one on top as well as one in the front. I myself have not noticed much if any increase in temp should I unplug the fans and just run the CPU fan that said case fans will help keep everything a tad cooler if installed properly