Question Cpu and Dram lights flash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 16, 2020
I use my PC normally and then my monitor starts showing one color which is sometimes grey or purple or any other color then my pc suddenly turns off and the CPU and DRAM lights start blinking. The computer fans are still running. After that I can restart the PC and this process again. It seems like it happens sometimes immediately when I turn on the computer and when I play games , when I leave the PC on and I dont use it then I come back and I start something and it turns off. what can I do?
My specs:
Motherboard:Gigabyte b450 aorus elite
Cpu:Ryzen 5 2600
Cpu cooler:be quiet pure rock
Gpu:msi armor rx 570
Psu:cooler master elite 600w v3
Ram: hyperx fury 16gb

@LantiDaniHUN
Random crashing is very hard to pin down. Since you have the CPU and RAM lights blinking, I would start with the assumption that this is a hardware issue. I would start by testing the RAM. Download memtest86 and see if you can get it to run for a while (overnight?).

If the system will run memory tests for a number of hours without crashing, then it might actually be a software issue. Check the drives for corruption and you might even pull the drives and boot a Linux OS from a USB stick and see if that crashes. If it does, then I would go back to the hardware ... CPU, motherboard, GPU, PSU ... not easy to test those unless you have spares sitting around.

okay so the test ended with 0 errors. so this means that it's 100 not ram thats bad?
what should I do next?
It ran for multiple hours without crashing? I would start to wonder about software corruption or a bad driver. Check your drives and maybe even boot an alternative OS (Linux?) from a USB or CD and see if they system crashes.

How long does it normally take before the system will crash?

Apr 16, 2020
It ran for multiple hours without crashing? I would start to wonder about software corruption or a bad driver. Check your drives and maybe even boot an alternative OS (Linux?) from a USB or CD and see if they system crashes.

How long does it normally take before the system will crash?
Yes I ran it at night and when I looked at it tomorrow it said 0 errors. Is the auto driver install enough? Because I only did that. Should I try installing drivers from the company's website? Which drivers should I do this with?

@LantiDaniHUN
I would go to AMD site and get the latest CPU/chipset drivers.
Then go to Nvidia and get the latest GPU drivers.
Then from the Gigabyte site, get the sound and Ethernet drivers for your motherboard.

It wasn't discussed, but is this a fairly new build or has this been working well for a while and suddenly problems started? Did you do a fresh install of Windows with this system or was transferred from an old system?

Apr 16, 2020
@LantiDaniHUN
I would go to AMD site and get the latest CPU/chipset drivers.
Then go to Nvidia and get the latest GPU drivers.
Then from the Gigabyte site, get the sound and Ethernet drivers for your motherboard.

It wasn't discussed, but is this a fairly new build or has this been working well for a while and suddenly problems started? Did you do a fresh install of Windows with this system or was transferred from an old system?
This is a month old system so yes it is new and the problems started after a few days after the build and it's a new windows

Apr 16, 2020
I would try a reset first (Settings ->Update & Security->Recovery) ... it just reinstalls the system files and leaves your files in place. If you don't have too much personal stuff on the computer then it might just as easy to reinstall the whole thing.
Okay thanks. I will try the reset first but if it doesn't solve the the problem I will try the reinstall.

Apr 16, 2020
I was thinking about this some more. Corrupted software can cause crashes, but it seems unlikely they would cause the CPU and DRAM lights to blink.

Do you have access to any spare parts to test with? I would try a different PSU and/or GPU first.
Unfortunately not. My graphics card is an msi armor rx 570 and it is refurbished. I bought it from an official site with warranty. Can that cause this?

It could, but it's hard to say. I would consider looking at warranty lengths and RMAing parts while it's possible. Are you sure that that is the part causing the issue ... no. But, I don't want this dragging on past your warranty period and not getting what you paid for.

Apr 16, 2020
It could, but it's hard to say. I would consider looking at warranty lengths and RMAing parts while it's possible. Are you sure that that is the part causing the issue ... no. But, I don't want this dragging on past your warranty period and not getting what you paid for.
My warranty length is 12month on the ram and graphics card and 36 month on the other things.

So, just to confirm ... you see the most crashes when:
  1. The computer is starting.
  2. You try to play a game.
  3. Starting an application.

When the computer crashes, monitor will go one color or blank, but fans will stay on. CPU and DRAM lights on the motherboard blink alternatively. Does the HDD light stop blinking?

If the computer is left doing nothing it seems to be stable.
Overnight test of RAM came out with no errors.
You have double checked the installation of all components (plugged in correctly and all the way).

Essentially what I'm hearing is when the computer has to work hard, it crashes. With the diagnostic lights blinking, I was thinking memory at first. Then drivers/software. Now I wonder if it's an overheating issue. As computers work harder, temperatures can build up. Though modern CPUs and GPUs have thermal protection, overheating can still cause a crash. My other thought is about power. As the computer works harder, it requires more power. If the power supply fails to supply enough power, you can have a crash. If the power management systems on the motherboard can't keep up with changes in power requirements, then again you have a crash.

Apr 16, 2020
So, just to confirm ... you see the most crashes when:
  1. The computer is starting.
  2. You try to play a game.
  3. Starting an application.
When the computer crashes, monitor will go one color or blank, but fans will stay on. CPU and DRAM lights on the motherboard blink alternatively. Does the HDD light stop blinking?

If the computer is left doing nothing it seems to be stable.
Overnight test of RAM came out with no errors.
You have double checked the installation of all components (plugged in correctly and all the way).

Essentially what I'm hearing is when the computer has to work hard, it crashes. With the diagnostic lights blinking, I was thinking memory at first. Then drivers/software. Now I wonder if it's an overheating issue. As computers work harder, temperatures can build up. Though modern CPUs and GPUs have thermal protection, overheating can still cause a crash. My other thought is about power. As the computer works harder, it requires more power. If the power supply fails to supply enough power, you can have a crash. If the power management systems on the motherboard can't keep up with changes in power requirements, then again you have a crash.
It's very weird because sometimes I dont have the problem for 2-3 days but the other times I have it 3-4 times a day. It seems random. Now it turned off right when I locked it(with win+L)and its on now with the screen one colored and it doesnt go to that stage where the dram and cpu lights blink. It seems like its stuck now before that. The cpu is not overheating because I checked it earlier with core temp.

It's very weird because sometimes I dont have the problem for 2-3 days but the other times I have it 3-4 times a day. It seems random. Now it turned off right when I locked it(with win+L)and its on now with the screen one colored and it doesnt go to that stage where the dram and cpu lights blink. It seems like its stuck now before that. The cpu is not overheating because I checked it earlier with core temp.

It would be really nice if you had access to another computer and could put your video card or PSU in it and see what happens. Without testing, you're just guessing what the problem is.

@LantiDaniHUN
I would send the video card back. Tell them that everything works fine and then the screen will go blank while the computer continues to run. Only restarting the computer resolves the issue.

Without testing it, we are kind of guessing that it will fix it, but it's better than just living with a computer that doesn't work 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.