[SOLVED] CPU and DRAM lights on after re-installing working parts

Apr 6, 2020
I'm pretty confused by this situation and would really appreciate some insight. I recently decided to upgrade my CPU and RAM to get my PC VR ready, I checked the new parts compatibility with my current build on PC part picker and aside from needing a BIOS update I was good to go. For reference, this is my current setup:

Motherboard: MSI B350m Pro-VDH
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 1200
RAM: 2 x 4GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 DDR4-3000
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB VRAM
PSU: EVGA BR 500 W

This was working perfectly as of 30 minutes ago. My new parts arrived and I set to installing them:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000

After a bit of struggling with installing the CPU cooler I turned it on only to get the CPU debug light. I realized I'd forgotten the BIOS update and re-installed the old CPU to get the update. However now my previously working CPU also gives the debug light, as well as the DRAM. I re-installed the old RAM and got the same results. I'm not sure what I could have done in this process to break my already functioning parts, but this is my first custom PC and may have messed something up. What can I do to get these parts working again?

Solution
Despite the new CPU requiring a BIOS update, I have sometimes seen the failed boot attempt with the incompatible CPU make BIOS fail boot with the original CPU. It is usually easily fixed by clearing CMOS

EDIT: Sometimes it works best when clearing CMOS by disconnecting all power and removing the CMOS battery for 10 minutes, put the battery back and reconnecting everything
Despite the new CPU requiring a BIOS update, I have sometimes seen the failed boot attempt with the incompatible CPU make BIOS fail boot with the original CPU. It is usually easily fixed by clearing CMOS

EDIT: Sometimes it works best when clearing CMOS by disconnecting all power and removing the CMOS battery for 10 minutes, put the battery back and reconnecting everything

Last edited:
Solution