Question CPU and GPU overheating waaaaaay too much..

Sep 7, 2022
Running an r5 3600 with an rx 5700. They both go extremely hot. The CPU goes to about 60-65C idle w/o undervolt and 50C idle after a 0.0835 V undervolt, under load CPU still stays at 95C constant under load. GPU stays at about 55C and goes to 85C under load. What is wrong? I'm running on a carbide 275R with 2 intakes and one exhaust (CPU is running on an AIO cooler). PC is relatively clean, but its old

Sep 7, 2022
@thatone_questionmark
yeah lol i forgot to add the image 😅

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Mmmk. We can't see the radiator fans, but the rear fan is currently an intake.
For reference:
iu

Reactions: rgd1101
Agreed, the rear fan is facing the wrong way for exhaust.
Are you running tests with all the panels in place? Try it without the front panel once you fix the rear fan.
My other suggestion would be set the H100i as a front exhaust, and use the rear fan as intake. It wouldnt give you the best CPU temps, but Id be willing to bet you would have overall better airflow with an unrestricted intake.

Sep 7, 2022
Agreed, the rear fan is facing the wrong way for exhaust.
Are you running tests with all the panels in place? Try it without the front panel once you fix the rear fan.
My other suggestion would be set the H100i as a front exhaust, and use the rear fan as intake. It wouldnt give you the best CPU temps, but Id be willing to bet you would have overall better airflow with an unrestricted intake.
yup ive tried alot of fan configs, aio used to be an exhaust with an intake at the back, it was a bit worse than current i changed up the back fan into an exhaust instead of intake, which did reduce idle temps but didnt really help in terms of stress temps

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
yup i mentioned i flipped over the fan but yeah thanks
Ok, but we don't know if the radiator fans are blowing in or out, so I was just making sure.

I'm not going to be of much help in troubleshooting that Corsair cooler. Those and NZXT's Krakens are more complex to set up, and I've never used one. Other coolers are easy:
-How old is the cooler?
-Re-examine the cooler mount. One side may have been tightened too much, or paste didn't spread evenly, etc.
-Put the cpu under load(Cinebench R23), and while that's going on, feel both tubes. If flow is good, you should have some trouble telling the 2 apart.
Corsair and NZXT's are a bit more involved, adding more cables and their software into the mix.

As for the gpu, it's not even that bad...

What are you stressing with? That may be part of the problem.

Also, this here: "The CPU goes to about 60-65C idle w/o undervolt and 50C idle after a 0.0835 V undervolt..."
How many cores are actually doing this? If it's not all of them, then there's nothing wrong here.

Sep 7, 2022
Ok, but we don't know if the radiator fans are blowing in or out, so I was just making sure.

I'm not going to be of much help in troubleshooting that Corsair cooler. Those and NZXT's Krakens are more complex to set up, and I've never used one. Other coolers are easy:
-How old is the cooler?
-Re-examine the cooler mount. One side may have been tightened too much, or paste didn't spread evenly, etc.
-Put the cpu under load(Cinebench R23), and while that's going on, feel both tubes. If flow is good, you should have some trouble telling the 2 apart.
Corsair and NZXT's are a bit more involved, adding more cables and their software into the mix.

As for the gpu, it's not even that bad...

What are you stressing with? That may be part of the problem.

Also, this here: "The CPU goes to about 60-65C idle w/o undervolt and 50C idle after a 0.0835 V undervolt..."
How many cores are actually doing this? If it's not all of them, then there's nothing wrong here.
what do you use to check different cores temperatures?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Derp! 🤦‍♂️ That's right, these chips display averages - per core isn't shown in the conventional sense.
The activity of each core - now that you can monitor(HWINFO). Only the active cores/threads actually doing anything at the time are getting to the temperatures you're seeing. That's not a problem if others are chilling around doing much of nothing.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Gonna take another crack at it after having done some more reading.

welp coretemp says all 6 cores in 95c under load, ill try checking out the pumps
The low load temperatures just have 1 or 2 cores active, right? Then the 50-60C is fine if it's just those.
How long has that cooler been in use?

I think your radiator needs to be turned upside down. Something about the pump not being the highest point in the loop and in your picture it is.
The highest end of the radiator is higher than the cpu block. The OP is in the clear.

Sep 7, 2022
Gonna take another crack at it after having done some more reading.

The low load temperatures just have 1 or 2 cores active, right? Then the 50-60C is fine if it's just those.
How long has that cooler been in use?

The highest end of the radiator is higher than the cpu block. The OP is in the clear.

yup, at idle only two cores run, during a stress test they all ramp too 100% my aio has been used for 2 years i got it off a family member

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
yup, at idle only two cores run, during a stress test they all ramp too 100% my aio has been used for 2 years i got it off a family member
Just 2 years? Seems a bit short, but AIO/CLC lifespans are all over the place. Less than a year to as long as... I think the longest I've heard is 9 years? Though some of that is influenced by how much time the unit is run daily/weekly/etc.

There's not a convenient means to fixing them if they fail, so prepare for possibly replacing this... what's left is checkups to see if it's really failing.

For one, have you removed the cpu block and examined how the paste spread over the cpu?
When you repaste the cpu, manually spread the new paste over the entire IHS. You can use an old credit/debit card, one of those disposable clear gloves - even wrapping a small section of plastic bag around your finger works.
When securing those 2 screws, use half-turns, and go back and forth between them until they stop.

Second, air sometimes fails to get pumped away from the cpu block - you can give it a hand.
Once you've completed cooler installation, tilt the case backwards while the PC is running for about 20 seconds. This helps guide any air pockets in the cpu block to the radiator.

Third, load up Cinebench R23's 10 min thermal test. While it's running, feel both of the tubes.
If fluid flow is good, it should be hard to tell the 2 apart. If flow is poor, it'll be clear as day and night.

If it doesn't check out after all that, then RIP, I'd say...

Sep 7, 2022
Just 2 years? Seems a bit short, but AIO/CLC lifespans are all over the place. Less than a year to as long as... I think the longest I've heard is 9 years? Though some of that is influenced by how much time the unit is run daily/weekly/etc.

There's not a convenient means to fixing them if they fail, so prepare for possibly replacing this... what's left is checkups to see if it's really failing.

For one, have you removed the cpu block and examined how the paste spread over the cpu?
When you repaste the cpu, manually spread the new paste over the entire IHS. You can use an old credit/debit card, one of those disposable clear gloves - even wrapping a small section of plastic bag around your finger works.
When securing those 2 screws, use half-turns, and go back and forth between them until they stop.

Second, air sometimes fails to get pumped away from the cpu block - you can give it a hand.
Once you've completed cooler installation, tilt the case backwards while the PC is running for about 20 seconds. This helps guide any air pockets in the cpu block to the radiator.

Third, load up Cinebench R23's 10 min thermal test. While it's running, feel both of the tubes.
If fluid flow is good, it should be hard to tell the 2 apart. If flow is poor, it'll be clear as day and night.

If it doesn't check out after all that, then RIP, I'd say...
yup ill be trying that out