[SOLVED] CPU and GPU overheating

May 25, 2020
I just got a new PSU and GPU cooler and new case fans in hopes of fixing an overheating problem. However the problem persists where everytime I start steam my PC shuts off. After enough trouble shooting I found out that my CPU is overheating at only 48° Celsius. Is this low? I hear people overheating at 80 or 90 degrees that's why I am wondering why my CPU overheats at 48 and my GPU at 55.
My pc is about 4-5 years old so it may be thermal paste being dry but I don't know how to keep it cool.
Any advice welcome, thanks in advance.

Solution
Currently it is under my desk, although I could move it up higher if need be. The CPU is a AMD Radeon 480 and the GPU is a Radeon 8 core. 16gbs of ddr3 ram and a 600watt EVGA PSU. Sorry I don't know more off the top of my head but my pc overheats soon after it boots up so I can't even check it for specifics.

Thanks for the quick update.

I think you may have the CPU & GPU specs backwards. lol.. As for the rest, it sounds like it might be a good idea to place it up on top of your desk so it has free airflow. I also strongly suggest that you do a full rebuild since it's about 5 years old. Cleaning and re-pasting as you go. A fresh install of the OS wouldn't hurt either. Of course be sure to back up your important docs or pics...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
I just got a new PSU and GPU cooler and new case fans in hopes of fixing an overheating problem. However the problem persists where everytime I start steam my PC shuts off. After enough trouble shooting I found out that my CPU is overheating at only 48° Celsius. Is this low? I hear people overheating at 80 or 90 degrees that's why I am wondering why my CPU overheats at 48 and my GPU at 55.
My pc is about 4-5 years old so it may be thermal paste being dry but I don't know how to keep it cool.
Any advice welcome, thanks in advance.

Hi @Harlan.O

Welcome to the forums!

Is your PC enclosed or open air? By this I mean is your tower in the open or tucked away under your desk. Hot air, regardless of how much it's moving, is still hot air.

Do you have any fan control programs installed? Such as MSI Afterburner or Precision X1?

If you are sure your system is clean from excessive dust and your fans are in good working order, I would definitely suggest you re-paste both the CPU & GPU's heat sink as they very well could have dried out paste. You said you just got a new GPU cooler, have you installed it yet? What did you get?

Whats the specs of your system?

May 25, 2020
Currently it is under my desk, although I could move it up higher if need be. The CPU is a AMD Radeon 480 and the GPU is a Radeon 8 core. 16gbs of ddr3 ram and a 600watt EVGA PSU. Sorry I don't know more off the top of my head but my pc overheats soon after it boots up so I can't even check it for specifics.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED

Thanks for the quick update.

I think you may have the CPU & GPU specs backwards. lol.. As for the rest, it sounds like it might be a good idea to place it up on top of your desk so it has free airflow. I also strongly suggest that you do a full rebuild since it's about 5 years old. Cleaning and re-pasting as you go. A fresh install of the OS wouldn't hurt either. Of course be sure to back up your important docs or pics 1st!

Let us know how it all goes before & after or if you have any questions.

Again, Welcome to the forums. :)

Solution