[SOLVED] CPU and GPU running way too hot!

zdking

Commendable
Apr 11, 2018
Hiya guys,

So lately I've noticed that when playing some games (e.g. Sea of thieves) that both Cpu and Gpu temperatures are hitting 90C +.

My build is now 4 years old, and in need of some improvement. Cpu is currently cooled by a stock intel fan.

Im currently looking at both the CM Hyper 212, and the NZXT Kraken x62. What worries me is that both has RGB elements to them, and i highly doubt my Asus Z97-P supports that, although both states they're compatible with socket-1150. Any ideas?

As to GPU running too hot, Im honestly not sure what to do with that? Anyways im looking to swap my GPU in the near future, as its my builds biggest weakness atm.

Any answers/input appreciated :)

Solution
Good call with removing the hard drive cage. You can put the hard drive on the bottom of the case and it will be fine there. Do the extra fan up front and only one more in the back

The fan curve is pretty much a setting you do with software to adjust what speed the fan runs based on the temperature of the video card. For my 2070 I run it at 40% until 40C then have the graph/curve go to 100% fan speed at 70C might be aggressive but that's what I've been running for years and with the 2070 it doesn't go past 56C

Google graphics card fan curve or gpu fan curve and you'll see the images on what it looks like. My brother never did one on his 1060 and it was running very got. Setup the curve for him and it's been running a lot...
LED is not always the same as RGB. ANY system can support LED lighting, because it's usually just light, not addressable or changeable, just on, or off. If it specifically says RGB, then it COULD be an issue without having some kind of controller.

Regardless, if you are running the stock Intel cooler right now, I'd try this cooler rather than either of the two you mentioned, if you want a good budget model rather than something with a bit more capability. This would give you much better CPU cooling performance but if your GPU card is struggling to stay cool to then your problem likely lies with a lack of case airflow and taking off the side panel to see if temps drop would be the best way to determine if airflow through the case due to a lack of case fans or case fans that are getting weak, would be most helpful.

This will work with ANY system that has a compatible socket and does not have tall memory populating ALL of the DIMM slots. In most cases, even then. It is the best cooler you will find under 30 dollars.

https://www.amazon.com/DEEPCOOL-GAMMAXX-400-Blue-Compatible/dp/B00JQ2YDCY

zdking

Commendable
Apr 11, 2018
LED is not always the same as RGB. ANY system can support LED lighting, because it's usually just light, not addressable or changeable, just on, or off. If it specifically says RGB, then it COULD be an issue without having some kind of controller.

Regardless, if you are running the stock Intel cooler right now, I'd try this cooler rather than either of the two you mentioned, if you want a good budget model rather than something with a bit more capability. This would give you much better CPU cooling performance but if your GPU card is struggling to stay cool to then your problem likely lies with a lack of case airflow and taking off the side panel to see if temps drop would be the best way to determine if airflow through the case due to a lack of case fans or case fans that are getting weak, would be most helpful.

This will work with ANY system that has a compatible socket and does not have tall memory populating ALL of the DIMM slots. In most cases, even then. It is the best cooler you will find under 30 dollars.

https://www.amazon.com/DEEPCOOL-GAMMAXX-400-Blue-Compatible/dp/B00JQ2YDCY

Thankfully, I know the difference between LED and RGB :) I guess what I was trying to understand is whether the Kraken x62 would be compatible with a non RGB supportive motherboard. I read the spesifications and it clearly says 1150 compatible, but I dont get it at is has RGB light elements to it?

Right now Im running it without the sidepanel. Took it off to see if it had any effect on temperature. Thruthfully so, idle dropped about 10 degrees, and while gaming it dropped about 20 degrees.

Current gameplan:
  • New thermal paste
  • Buy the Gammaxx-400
  • Swap the current cabinet fans for new ones, and add another 140mm to the front panel

Loves his Gammaxx 400. Don't forget you will need to remove the existing thermal paste if you do replace your cooler.

Here is the same thing, but ships outside of America if need be

Thanks for the link mate (y) Im very intrigued by the Gammaxx-400, and want to give it a go! Yes, I will have to remove existing thermal paste for sure. Any tips for products to remove the old one?

Have you tried cleaning the dust off the heatsinks? Canned air works great.

While the cheap towers work well for the CPU, that stock Intel heatsink actually blows air over the motherboard's VRM heatsink while the towers don't.

Yes Sir! I had a full cleanout not long ago, and removed all dust. Carefully worked my way around every corner. Didnt have too much effect on temps unfortunately.

Hiya guys,

So lately I've noticed that when playing some games (e.g. Sea of thieves) that both Cpu and Gpu temperatures are hitting 90C +.

My build is now 4 years old, and in need of some improvement. Cpu is currently cooled by a stock intel fan.

Im currently looking at both the CM Hyper 212, and the NZXT Kraken x62. What worries me is that both has RGB elements to them, and i highly doubt my Asus Z97-P supports that, although both states they're compatible with socket-1150. Any ideas?

As to GPU running too hot, Im honestly not sure what to do with that? Anyways im looking to swap my GPU in the near future, as its my builds biggest weakness atm.

Any answers/input appreciated :)

you can get a cooler without LEDs? Also most have a wire that plugs into a USB 2 port and the cooler for you to change settings then remove.

What is your complete set up, would help narrow things down.

Does it work

Reputable
Jun 3, 2017
Thanks for the link mate (y) Im very intrigued by the Gammaxx-400, and want to give it a go! Yes, I will have to remove existing thermal paste for sure. Any tips for products to remove the old one?

Isopropyl alcohol as pure as you can get it, places like bunnings (hardware stores) or chemists have it, though the hardware stores usually have a pure make, I know bunnings has 100%, but 90%+ is ideal too, the absolute minimum i would say is 70% though (can get isopropyl swabs at this concentration, though 99%+ if you can, its the safest), use a microfiber cloth (glasses cloth, it will get stained) to gently rub the thermal paste away, dont go too hard. 100% will evaporate extremely quickly letting you get new paste and the cooler on sooner.

The 100% can be found with either the computer cleaning components or with the methylated spirits in the hardware store (bunnings atleast), cant go wrong with kyronaut thermal compound either, highest I have gone with it so far is 54 under stress testing, using the gammaxx 400's little brother, the GTE (little sexier to look at at the cost of better heat dissipation.

The 400 also comes with or without lights, here is the plain one.

Last edited:
91% isopropyl alcohol. That is the gold standard for removing thermal paste and cleaning the surfaces of the CPU heat spreader and heatsink bases. There are few sources for 99% ISO alcohol and 100% ISO alcohol isn't even a thing. True, there are retailers that claim there is, but there isn't. If there was, the moment you opened it it would instantly evaporate and would be useless in any other than lab conditions under controlled usage in a container where it couldn't evaporate.

Solidjake

Notable
Sep 6, 2019
What GPU and CPU do you have? You most definitely need a new CPU cooler to replace the stock one and your system most likely needs cleaning and new thermal compound. How are the fans setup on the case? Is there dust blocking the intake?

zdking

Commendable
Apr 11, 2018
What GPU and CPU do you have? You most definitely need a new CPU cooler to replace the stock one and your system most likely needs cleaning and new thermal compound. How are the fans setup on the case? Is there dust blocking the intake?

GPU: Sapphire Radeon Tri-x R9 390x 8GB
CPU: i7 4790K

Cleaned it out completely not too long ago. Definitely needs new thermal compund. Its a 140mm in the back and a 140mm in the front + the stock CPU fan. There shouldnt be any dust blocking no.

zdking

Commendable
Apr 11, 2018
Can you get one more fan up front? I would do that plus get an aftermarket CPU cooler with new thermal paste. For the video card you nee to set up a fan curve

Yes, absolutely. I can mount another 140mm in the front. My plan is to add another one to the front. I can also mount 2 or 3 140mm in the top part too if I wanted. I also realised i can remove the rackets for the HDD completely if its not used, so Im thinking of doing that, as well as moving the SD to the backside panel of the motherboard. Move things out of the way. Thoughts? Fan curve? Can you elaborate?

Solidjake

Notable
Sep 6, 2019
Good call with removing the hard drive cage. You can put the hard drive on the bottom of the case and it will be fine there. Do the extra fan up front and only one more in the back

The fan curve is pretty much a setting you do with software to adjust what speed the fan runs based on the temperature of the video card. For my 2070 I run it at 40% until 40C then have the graph/curve go to 100% fan speed at 70C might be aggressive but that's what I've been running for years and with the 2070 it doesn't go past 56C

Google graphics card fan curve or gpu fan curve and you'll see the images on what it looks like. My brother never did one on his 1060 and it was running very got. Setup the curve for him and it's been running a lot cooler. (don't recall the old high temp but over 80C)

Solution

zdking

Commendable
Apr 11, 2018

Google graphics card fan curve or gpu fan curve and you'll see the images on what it looks like. My brother never did one on his 1060 and it was running very got. Setup the curve for him and it's been running a lot cooler. (don't recall the old high temp but over 80C)

I just recently found out how cusromizable my case is, so im definitely removing what I can and opening it all up. I have 6 hdd slots i dont use, so i will completely remove the 5 slot cage, and move the 3 slot further in towards the PSU at the bottom of the case.

Im sorry mate, only had 1hr sleep last night - I follow you on the adding another fan to the front part, but didnt quite get the "only one more in the back" part? Only have room for 1 fan at the back . In addition to add another one to the front, I'll also swap all the old fans for new ones.

Thanks for the heads up regarding fan curves. Really appreciated :)

zdking

Commendable
Apr 11, 2018
Just wanted to thank everyone for their time, and answers! In the end, thanks to a friend, I ended up with a Cooler Master ML240R, and my fiancee got me a new cabinet for my birthday, so temps dropped around 50 degrees. Its back in business and going real nice atm ^^