CPU and GPU temperatures are insane! PLEASE HELP!!

Jwl3039

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2014
Build Specs :

CPU : Intel Core i5-6600K @ 4.3GHz (O.C.ed through AI Suite 3) - (5 Way Optimization)

CPU COOLER : be quiet Dark Rock 3

GPU : EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 FTW Edition

MOBO : Asus Prime Z270-A

RAM : Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 3000MHz LED

Fans : (2 Front : Corsair 120mm SP120(Push)),(1 Rear : Corsair 120mm SP120(Push)),(2 Top : Stock Phanteks Fans(Pull))

Case : Phanteks Eclipse P400s TG Edition

I made this build close to one month ago as a present for myself for graduating. I have been using MSI Afterburner to monitor my temperatures and Usage for both the GPU and CPU.

My concerns :

GPU Temps : 73-84 C (Under Load)
Fan Curve in MSI Afterburner :
0-30 (40%), 50 (50%), 55(60%), 60(75%), 65-80 (80%), 90 (100%)

CPU Temps : 72-76 C (Under Load)
CPU Usage : 99-100 % (Under Load)
GPU Usage : 99-100 % (Under Load)

I personally feel these temperatures are way too high and I was wondering if I should be concerned. I have zero knowledge on push/pull or Positive or Negative airflow. I was aiming to get a Positive Airflow to make sure there is a good amount of air flowing in. The Ambient temperature outside my home on average is 82 Degrees. The Ambient Temperature inside my home is 78-79 Degrees.

For reference I will list the temperatures of my CPU and GPU at idle.

GPU : 37 Degrees C (Min) 40 Degrees C (Max) -> While watching a Youtube Video
(Sits steady at 39 Degrees C)

CPU : 53 Degrees C (Min) 61 Degrees C (Max) -> While watching a Youtube Video
(Bounces between 42-55 Degrees C)

It is to the point where the PC becomes hot including the Tempered Glass when I touch it. This occurs after about 6 hours of heavy gaming.

In regards to fans, I can fit 2 140mm fans on the front along with 2 140mm fans on the top as well. Same applies to 1 rear 140mm fan. Do you guys think it is wise to get all 140mm fans instead of the 120mm that I currently have? Sorry for all the quesitons, but thank you all for the help in advance.

If any additional information is needed please let me know,

Solution
You have your fans set up wrong mate .

The rear & top fans should all the be the same exhausting configuration , the front 2 should be intakes.

Ignore positive/negative ideas with a case like the p400s because its a sealed unit & it doesn't matter - just front to back airflow is all you should be concerned with

2x front intakes & 3 rear/top exhausts is absolutely more than enough.

A case fan has 2 sides.
One is completely open with the fan blades showing
The other has support struts .

Air is always taken in by the open side & exhausted out the strutted side

Front intakes - fit so the strutted side is facing inwards towards the motherboard , so from the inside of the case you can see them.

Rear/top exhausts - fit the strutted...

BringerOfTea

Reputable
the rear fan should also pull, front should push, and top should pull

" is 78-79 Degrees." farhenheit or are you slowcooking yourself? ;)

Try making a bit more agresive curve on the fan control in msi afterburner.. what did you use to test your cpu load?

You have your fans set up wrong mate .

The rear & top fans should all the be the same exhausting configuration , the front 2 should be intakes.

Ignore positive/negative ideas with a case like the p400s because its a sealed unit & it doesn't matter - just front to back airflow is all you should be concerned with

2x front intakes & 3 rear/top exhausts is absolutely more than enough.

A case fan has 2 sides.
One is completely open with the fan blades showing
The other has support struts .

Air is always taken in by the open side & exhausted out the strutted side

Front intakes - fit so the strutted side is facing inwards towards the motherboard , so from the inside of the case you can see them.

Rear/top exhausts - fit the strutted side to the fan mounts so the completely open side of the fans is pointing in towards the motherboard.

Tower cooler - should be fitted so the fan is in the front (next to the ram) - the strutted side should be into the heatsink so from the front you can see the open side of the fan

Solution

Jwl3039

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2014

These are all measured by Celsius. In regards to testing, I used heavily model games such as Witcher 3, Skyrim SE. I also ran both Metro Last Light, GTA V, and Shadow of Mordor.

Jwl3039

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2014

Thank you for the insightful layout of my fans, when i get off work I will definitely have to change the front two since at the moment, all of my fans are faced inwards toward the case. Also thank toy for describing how Push & Pull works to me, sorry for my incompetence on the subject. Hopefully by changing the orientation of the fans my temperatures do drop a little since they do seem pretty high for my liking.

Jwl3039

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2014

I 100% know what you mean, sucks that I won't see the white ring on the side of the case but airflow is more important. I shall sacrifice aesthetics haha. I will let you know how it turns out

Jwl3039

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2014

THANK YOU SO MUCH! My idle is now at 28 C while under roughly 20 minutes of Witcher 3 (fully modded) reaches a max of 70 C whilst the CPU hits 72 C maxed (O.C.ed)