Question CPU and GPU temps

Jan 24, 2021
Not sure if this is the right place in the forum to ask. I have an Aorus 17 X laptop - 10875H, 2080 Super (200W variant), 1080p 240hz screen, 32GB ram). A week ago I started connecting it to an Odyssey G7 that I bought for for a desktop build that I still need a couple parts for. I'm connected via the TB3 port to a DP1.4 input on my monitor (cable is active not passive). When playing COD Modern Warfare and Cold War I'm seeing significantly higher CPU temps than before. I expected GPU temps to climb somewhat but did not expect to see a big jump in CPU temps as the CPU wattage has not increased when playing and if anything has decreased a bit. I've also moved the laptop to a room that's 6F/3.3C cooler for ambient as this is the only room I can put the monitor in. I've been comparing what I previously saw in HWinfo 64 and have some concerns now with the below data. Is this normal?

Note: CPU is undervolted -110mV and GPU is +100 core and +250mem in afterburner - other games are stable beyond that but COD not so much), settings are high where there's a choice., RT off, and anti aliasing is maxed out when not using DLSS in CW, PL1 was 85W previously on , 75W currently, PL2 is 100W (regardless of what XTU shows it won't go past 100W)

MW @ 1080p: CPU max 84C, GPU max 55C
MW @ 1440p: CPU max 91C, GPU max 62C

CW @1080p DLSS off: CPU max 85C, GPU max 55C
CW @1440p DLSS off: CPU max 96C, GPU max 63C

CW @1080p DLSS quality on: CPU max: 79C, GPU max 55C
CW @1440p DLSS quality on : CPU max 95C, GPU max 62C

Would love to know if these numbers seem typical or if there's something else going on here. Sorry so long winded and thanks in advance.

Edit: forgot to mention optimus is disabled at all times.

Last edited:

Rapajez

Honorable
Jul 17, 2014
Is the laptop open or closed when you're using the G7?

Either way, it's a laptop. Sure, the CPU may not be working harder for that higher resolution, but the GPU is probably dumping more hot air near the CPU.

Also, you usually don't increase load on the CPU with a higher resolution, but it depends on the game. If there's more stuff happening on screen (like more armies in an RTS), the higher resolution can increase CPU load.

I'm sure you've already done the Googling, but all those temperatures seem perfectly safe.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021
Is the laptop open or closed when you're using the G7?

Either way, it's a laptop. Sure, the CPU may not be working harder for that higher resolution, the GPU is, but the GPU is probably dumping more hot air near the CPU.

I'm sure you've already done the Googling, but all those temperatures seem perfectly safe.
I keep it open whenever it's running. I've got additional air intake vents at that would be blocked and use a custom fan profile to where my fans max out at 83C. Although this will soon get retired from regular gaming usage and be more for general purpose when my dekstop is complete I've never been comfortable with CPU temps touching 90. I am weirded out by the CPU temp increasing by a larger margin than GPU in some cases. (GPU temps are fine).

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS