Question cpu and gpu usage suddenly cause drop frames

b2k-justbetter

Reputable
May 16, 2020
hello today i got a serious problems my laptop asus gl704gm with i7 8750h and 1060 6gb is causing me a drops fps while playing some games such as pubg and cod,I was searching for solution but nothing, so my problem is that i play normal with 80 fps and suddenly I got drops frames for like 10 sec every minute, here some picture showing that my gpu usage is droping and also cpu temp is droping too to 75 when it was above 85C,
here what i've done without any result, I reinstalled drivers and all these things,I undervolt my cpu but still the problem happein,
i know if i turn off intel turbo boost by reduce the maximum processor state to 99% it will fix the drops but the fps will get down to 40-50 and i don't feel the game smooth as should be so i can't take it as solution
here some picture without drops frames:
cuo0g1z.png

sHRPTAC.png

and here some picture with drops frame that happein for 10-15 sec:
g4k6h1x.png

uaSMm8D.png

you can clearly see that GPU usage is droping to less than 20%, and cpu temp is droping to less than 75C

Apr 26, 2020
Those temps are kind of high. Your laptop is probably throttling due to excessive temps i.e. it's disabling turbo automatically once temps reach a maximum (which appears to be 95 Celsius), causing the frame drops.

A laptop cooler may help you solve this issue. There are some cool ones around that work silently and even allow for some improvement in ergonomics.

Also, if this is an issue that you didn't use to have, you should look into getting your laptop cleaned, with special focus on the cooling parts.

Reactions: b2k-justbetter

b2k-justbetter

Reputable
May 16, 2020
Those temps are kind of high. Your laptop is probably throttling due to excessive temps i.e. it's disabling turbo automatically once temps reach a maximum (which appears to be 95 Celsius), causing the frame drops.

A laptop cooler may help you solve this issue. There are some cool ones around that work silently and even allow for some improvement in ergonomics.

Also, if this is an issue that you didn't use to have, you should look into getting your laptop cleaned, with special focus on the cooling parts.
that's solution that i didn't made i was thinking to take it to someone to clean it and add thermal paste but the quarantine and my city is hardly locked, I will look for some cooling pad and try them, thank'you,
but in other way my city is kind of cold these days it reach 17C just cloud, and also my room is so cold, so i guess is a software problem more than cooling problem, i think something ruined in the setting cuz also gpu usage is dropping too and gpu temps doesn't change and as u say it's automattically turn off turbo boost but cpu usage increase from 50% to more than 70
and without turbo boost temp stay under 65 C for both cpu and gpu but with less fps as i said before
so what u think

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020
I see... well, you could try refreshing your windows installation (or even fully reinstalling it), also installing the drivers you find at ASUS website. Those might not be the latest ones, but are supposed to be the most stable in your specific laptop model.

b2k-justbetter

Reputable
May 16, 2020
I see... well, you could try refreshing your windows installation (or even fully reinstalling it), also installing the drivers you find at ASUS website. Those might not be the latest ones, but are supposed to be the most stable in your specific laptop model.
I'm sure that all my drivers are the last one and all of them are stable to my laptop, i tried reset my laptop to factory windows just for my C drive, i will fully reinstall and see the result

Reactions: herrnanditovsk

b2k-justbetter

Reputable
May 16, 2020
hey so after i reset my laptop to factory windows, I noticed that I have old bios version so I update it and then i got into another problem
while gaming my gpu usage get high to 100% and in the same time gpu core clock get down from 1700MH to 300 or less which cause drops fps for like 4 sec every minutes(11-10FPS), and the cpu state doesn't change(usage drop a little bit) as u can see in the pictures;
with drops
EAvVS6X.png

26ELZ6A.png

without drops
xEDgh5v.png

Apr 26, 2020
I'm no laptop expert but, like I said before: your temps seem too high. CPU temps in the 90's (nearing 100C) are definitely very high.
Unfortunately I don't know what else I would do, besides resorting to external cooling :/

b2k-justbetter

Reputable
May 16, 2020
cooling pad wasn't usefull for me, cuz i already tried one, and thermal paste i don't think i have to do it cuz my laptop still new for like 6 month, so i really need some solution for this