[SOLVED] CPU and memory frequency

Feb 8, 2019
Hi,

in the specs of ryzen 7 2700x it says its memory MHz is 2667, so, if i want to use a 3000 or 3200mhz memory (that is on qvl list), will it be able to use the full potential of this memories or do i need to overclock the processor so it can handle this high frequencies?

Solution
Do you know what memory you have? Unless you're 100% sure they are 2666 modules, any faster ram you buy will still default to 2666 until you change memory profile in the bios enabling xmp, amp or docp depending what your board uses for memory management.

Yes, the RAM and CPU will get along just fine without a CPU OC.

For others that may see this: The QVL is the qualified vendor list that includes a list of RAM kits that have been tested with the OP's motherboard. It is best to stick with the QVL but there's no way a company can test every RAM variation on the market so the QVL is a guideline and not a tell-all list.

Feb 8, 2019

Ok, so let me ask you another thing, the (O.C) on the side of the 3200Mhz in the specs of mobo, i already saw a lot of posts about this but i still dont really get it, so for what this stands for?

in every mobo you will see something like : DDR4 3200(O.C.)/2933(O.C.)/2666/2400/2133 MHz
so what is this (O.C)?

The CPU manufacturer sets a default speed for their CPU. The memory controller within needs a baseline, so to speak. The motherboard manufacturer has the option to allow for faster RAM but the RAM first needs to be overclocked hence the OC*. That OC however is usually taken care of with AMP which is AMD's answer to Intel's XMP. Simply put, the RAM is automatically OC'd. Before XMP(Intel's extreme memory profile tech.) OC'ing would need to be done manually but not these days. GPU Boost 3.0 and Intel's Turbo Boost are a couple of other automatic "overclocking" technologies.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Do you know what memory you have? Unless you're 100% sure they are 2666 modules, any faster ram you buy will still default to 2666 until you change memory profile in the bios enabling xmp, amp or docp depending what your board uses for memory management.

Solution