CPU and motherboard combo for GTX 1080

Matt582

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
I'm getting a GTX 1080 but my i5-2400 will badly bottleneck it. I need a new CPU and possibly motherboard. I currently have a 1155 socked but my motherboard doesn't allow increasing the core voltage so probably won't allow stable overclocks. I'm looking for the cheapest option really. This is the card I want to get: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/evga-geforce-gtx-1080-sc-gaming-acx-3.0-8192mb-gddr5x-pci-express-graphics-card-08g-p4-6183-kr-gx-298-ea.html . I would ideally like to spend the least possible on the new CPU and motherboard (under £350 would be ideal). Ill probably need a new monitor as well. I don't really know where to start with that but I'm looking for 144 Hz 1080p.

Solution
The i5 2400 is still very capable, ( after reading up online about similar cases) it would seem that your cpu may actually handle the gtx 1080 very well. I would say to purchase the 1080 and see if your cpu is slowing your gpu down. This would be the cheapest upgrade since you dont really need to upgrade cpu/mobo. Although in the future if you find that the i5 2400 is slowing down in extremely cpu demanding games, the next cheapest upgrade would be to go for the i5 3570k which your mobo supports. Should find it only $30-$50 dollars more expensive than the i5 2400 that you currently have. Also, if you want to stay with your pc build(mobo,ram,psu etc) for maybe 2 years more, the best processor your motherboard supports is the i7 3770k...
What motherboard are you currently using? What is your budget for monitor and cpu/mobo upgrade? You could upgrade to a i5 3570k or a i7 3770k depending on your budget. However making a whole new build would seem like a better option for the GPU that you want. Also what power supply and ram are you using? Please let us know below all your current pc specifications.

The i5 2400 is still very capable, ( after reading up online about similar cases) it would seem that your cpu may actually handle the gtx 1080 very well. I would say to purchase the 1080 and see if your cpu is slowing your gpu down. This would be the cheapest upgrade since you dont really need to upgrade cpu/mobo. Although in the future if you find that the i5 2400 is slowing down in extremely cpu demanding games, the next cheapest upgrade would be to go for the i5 3570k which your mobo supports. Should find it only $30-$50 dollars more expensive than the i5 2400 that you currently have. Also, if you want to stay with your pc build(mobo,ram,psu etc) for maybe 2 years more, the best processor your motherboard supports is the i7 3770k.

May i ask what country you are living in?, so i can check the used processor prices there.

Solution