CPU and motherboard have same chipset and same socket but won't boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

panpaper

Reputable
Dec 8, 2016
Tried to upgrade an old HP compaq desktop by replacing the original Pentium 4 3.2 GHz with a Core 2 Duo E8400.

My motherboard is an HP 09F0H, with LGA775 socket, Northbridge 945G Express, Southbridge ICH7.

Intel Core 2 Duo has 945G and ICH7, and the socket is LGA775.

Computer won’t boot (beeps 9 times). My power supply is 365W max. What am I doing wrong?

panpaper

Reputable
Dec 8, 2016
I'm guessing a CPU can't downgrade its bus speed to match a motherboard eh..

Just for future reference, what else do I need to look out for when upgrading a CPU? Also, out of the compatible CPUs mentioned in your source, which one is the fastest?

Thanks a bunch

You are correct that a CPU can not downgrade the FSB to be compatible.

This is the fastest listed on the CPU compatibility list: https://ark.intel.com/products/27520/Intel-Pentium-D-Processor-945-4M-Cache-3_40-GHz-800-MHz-FSB

EDIT: look for bus speed , Socket type, look on the CPU compatibility chart to see if the CPU is supported and what BIOS version supports that CPU. Some CPU's are only compatible after certain BIOS versions so a BIOS flash may be necessary before the new CPU is installed.

panpaper

Reputable
Dec 8, 2016
Thanks so much, could you help me with one last question

Would a pentium D 945 be a significant improvement over my current pentium 4 640 (3.2 GHz)? My P4 is struggling with HD video playback locally and on YouTube despite having installed an EVGA 8400GS graphics card

I had a Pentium 4 single core 3ghz(Northwood) that I paired with an AMD HD 5450 for the purpose of accelerating HD video. It worked fine at 720p, had some stutter at 1080p. At the time I didn't have the fastest internet connection, and I didn't have a lot of system ram, so I'm not sure if it was the CPU that caused the 1080p issues or not. Maybe with a Pentium D I'd have had smooth 1080p video.

The 8400 GS came in 3 different versions. The original version apparently lacked video acceleration in hardware, while the later two versions had that. So it could be that the one you have is not helping to accelerate HD video. You can use a program, like Speccy, to get more detailed info on your components. You might not need an upgraded CPU.

By the way, make sure your playback software, including your browser, use hardware acceleration and have it enabled.

Apr 21, 2021
The issue is the bus speed. That motherboard only handles a maximum of 800 MHz FSB and the core 2 Duo E8400 is a 1333 MHz FSB. The two are incompatible.

Sources: http://www.findlaptopdriver.com/specs-hewlett-09f0h-packard/
https://ark.intel.com/products/33910/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-E8400-6M-Cache-3_00-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB
Hey I thik I am gonna run into a similar problem I got a Hp pavilion from 2009 its got a
Intel® Pentium® Processor E5300
2M Cache, 2.60 GHz, 800 MHz FSB

In it right now, I want to upgrade it to a

Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q8200
4M Cache, 2.33 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB

so If it turns out to be incompatible whats the fastest proccesor do you think I can get for it then

USAFRet

Titan
Hey I thik I am gonna run into a similar problem I got a Hp pavilion from 2009 its got a
Intel® Pentium® Processor E5300
2M Cache, 2.60 GHz, 800 MHz FSB

In it right now, I want to upgrade it to a

Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q8200
4M Cache, 2.33 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB

so If it turns out to be incompatible whats the fastest proccesor do you think I can get for it then
Please start a NEW thread for your particular situation.
This is 4 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.