CPU and MOTHERBOARD ISSUE

jaezun

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017
I have a question. If the cpu in my desktop is blown, and that is the only issue, will that keep the light on my motherboard from lighting up? I know you can't power on the motherboard without a working cpu, but I am just wondering if, without the cpu, will the light still come on. If not, then I will know that my motherboard is bad as well. Please and Thank you very much

mazboy

Commendable
Dec 28, 2017
You can "start" a computer without any RAM or CPU installed. The motherboard lights should come on, and the fans should spin. There would be power to the USB ports, so if you have any lights on your keyboard or mouse, they should be lit. You won't have any video, with or without a video card.

Most motherboards won't power without a CPU or with a fried one. Also keep in mind that it's difficult to damage a CPU. In cases like this the most likely suspects are the PSU and then the motherboard. The CPU comes last because there are multiple CPU protections mechanisms unless you heavily over-voltage it during overclocking.

jaezun

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017
Im sorry for not explaining further. I asked specifically about the cpu because it was getting up around 80 degrees and as I noticed this (on speccy) it made a popping noise and shut down completely. After this I took a look at the cpu area, and the heat sync was no longer in good contact and the thermal paste was dried out. This is why I assumed the cpu was dead. Also, the light on my mother board is no longer on.

From what I have read here. It sounds like my cpu and mother board are both dead OR it is the psu.

I really appreciate the input! I don't have any spare parts which is why I am asking this question. I was hoping to order as few parts as possible for the initial attempt to fix my machine.

I am thinking, since the psu isn't that expensive, that I will get all three (god please let it be one of these issues lol) and start there. Afterward, I can just return what I don't need.

Does that sound reasonable?

jaezun

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017

Update, I did a paper clip test on the psu following this post, and no fan action.
So, I ordered a new power supply before trying anything else and hoping that is all it is. Thank so much, and I will update soon.