[SOLVED] CPU and RAM compatibility

Dec 16, 2020
Backstory:
Hello this is going to be a simple question to people that are more knowledgable about this stuff than me.

I've recently upgraded my gtx 960 to a gtx 1070 ti and after trying out Cyberpunk I noticed severe bottlnecking from my CPU (i5-6500)
I wasn't aware about this issue before purchasing the GPU and generally thought the CPU was of good quality and only after trying out the game saw that the CPU couldn't handle it, being at a constant 90% to 100% usage on all cores while the GPU seemingly never exceeded 81 % usage no matter the graphical setting. (I ran on 1080p resolution and was never able to reach above 41 fps and often played on below or on 30fps. Checked on Youtube and it's definetly not my GPU's fault). It was then that I decided to change my processor to atleast 6 cores. I decided to get a AMD processor and that meant I would have to change my motherboard. I found MBD that is cheaper and better than the one I own now. I checked the compatibility spreadsheet and found that my SSD is compatible (I coulnd't find if my HDD, but I don't believe it matters since they only require a SATA 3 to work correct me if I'm wrong).

A problem arose when I checked the Memory compatibility tab and my RAM was there but only if I decided to get a CPU below the 3rd generation.

Specs;
Gtx 1070 ti

i5-6500

RAM:
KVR21N15D8/8 (2x) (from Kingston)

GA-X150M-PRO ECC (MBD)

The mother board I bought

MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX

Questions:
Is my current RAM (KVR21N15D8/8) somehow able to be made compatible with a Gen 3 Ryzen CPU (AMD Ryzen 5 3600 for example)?
Or maybe it already is compatible and they didn't list it?

I'm not sure how the compatiblity between the two really works so I had to ask.
Thank you for your answeres.

Last edited:
Solution
Backstory:
Hello this is going to be a simple question to people that are more knowledgable about this stuff than me.

I've recently upgraded my gtx 960 to a gtx 1070 ti and after trying out Cyberpunk I noticed severe bottlnecking from my CPU (i5-6500)
I wasn't aware about this issue before purchasing the GPU and generally thought the CPU was of good quality and only after trying out the game saw that the CPU couldn't handle it, being at a constant 90% to 100% usage on all cores while the GPU seemingly never exceeded 81 % usage no matter the graphical setting. (I ran on 1080p resolution and was never able to reach above 41 fps and often played on below or on 30fps. Checked on Youtube and it's definetly not my GPU's fault). It was...
Backstory:

I wasn't aware about this issue before purchasing the GPU and generally thought the CPU was of good quality and only after trying out the game saw that the CPU couldn't handle it, being at a constant 90% to 100% usage on all cores while the GPU seemingly never exceeded 81 % usage no matter the graphical setting. (I ran on 1080p resolution and was never able to reach above 41 fps and often played on below or on 30fps. Checked on Youtube and it's definetly not my GPU's fault). It was then that I decided to change my processor to atleast 6 cores. I decided to get a AMD processor and that meant I would have to change my motherboard. I found MBD that is cheaper and better than the one I own now. I checked the compatibility spreadsheet and found that my SSD is compatible (I coulnd't find if my HDD, but I don't believe it matters since they only require a SATA 3 to work correct me if I'm wrong).

A problem arose when I checked the Memory compatibility tab and my RAM was there but only if I decided to get a CPU below the 3rd generation.

Specs;
Gtx 1070 ti

i5-6500

RAM:
KVR21N15D8/8 (2x) (from Kingston)

GA-X150M-PRO ECC (MBD)

Questions:
Is my current RAM (KVR21N15D8/8) somehow able to be made compatible with a Gen 3 Ryzen CPU (AMD Ryzen 5 3600 for example)?
Or maybe it already is compatible and they didn't list it?

I'm not sure how the compatiblity between the two really works so I had to ask.
Thank you for your answeres.
Newer Ryzen can handle even faster RAM and so do MBs for it. That RAM you have is compatible but seriously slow and would be bad bottleneck as Ryzen "loves" faster memory.
SATA SSDs as well as HDDs are compatible with any MB that has SAT2 and SATA 3 ports.

Solution
Dec 16, 2020
I see that there isn't a "minimum speed" required for the RAM to work I'm happy you cleared that up for me. Thank you for both of your answeres. If I may ask.

Is there a way to check how bad the bottleneck would be? and what specificly would be affected by it?

Will I experience any problems in the BIOS due to the RAM? (sorry for asking again because I'm unsure about this stuff and I heared some worrying news that I might have to fiddle in it to make the RAM work)

On that note which Generation should I get generation 2 or 3? or are both going to be experiencing the same bottleneck and it will only matter when I upgrade my RAM?

Thanks in advance.

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
Personally i would go for a 3rd gen 3600x or something.I am in a sweet spot with a 1070 ti and a r5 2600 but any replacement is displacement(car example)but it all depends on price.Here the 3600 are still steep in price.The 2600 are 1.2k cheaper which for use is huge.Personally i won't go over 3600x for a 1070 ti though.

Reactions: PhilBar
I see that there isn't a "minimum speed" required for the RAM to work I'm happy you cleared that up for me. Thank you for both of your answeres. If I may ask.

Is there a way to check how bad the bottleneck would be? and what specificly would be affected by it?

Will I experience any problems in the BIOS due to the RAM? (sorry for asking again because I'm unsure about this stuff and I heared some worrying news that I might have to fiddle in it to make the RAM work)

On that note which Generation should I get generation 2 or 3? or are both going to be experiencing the same bottleneck and it will only matter when I upgrade my RAM?

Thanks in advance.
Gen3 of which R5 3600(x) is member are happiest with 3600MHz RAM, gen2 like 2600(x) for instance at 3200MHz.
R5 3600x has been voted as best buy CPU for gaming.

TRENDING THREADS