CPU and RAM settings correct????

ajhoey

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
I ran CPU-Z on bros computer and got some confusing info. Im pretty much a noob when it comes to this but I want to learn.
Intel E6420 2.13Ghz and PC-6400 RAM, Rated FSB 1067.6Mhz (Shuttle FV30V10)

Core speed runs at 1.6Ghz(6x multiplier)most the time but changes a few times per min to the rated chip speed of 2.134Ghz(8x multiplier) bus speed remaining fairly constant at 266.8Mhz. Why does this number change? Is it possible to set the BIOS for it not to change? I imagine that it is possible but how exactly?

Second the DRAM freq reads 333.4Mhz. Shouldnt this freq read 400Mhz with PC6400? If so, should, how and would it be beneficial to change it?

ajhoey

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
I havent changed anything thats the way it was. Should it be set at a fixed 8x? The multiplier will fluctuate from 6x to 8x times on its own, but mosly remains at 6x. Why does it fluctuate?

ajhoey

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Manufacturer: Shuttle Model#:FV30V10
Chipset: Intel I945G

BIOS bRand PeonixTech
Version 6.0 PG
Date 5/15/2007

Should I update the BIOS? This wont cause any problems?

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
Flashing the bios is always a risk. I'll post some info at the bottom but flash at your own risk, this is a choice you and you alone have to make.

AWARD BIOS Utility:
Format to FAT or FAT32

1. Make bootable floppy. You can do this in the formatting window or download DRD Flash which I use.
http://techsp.net/Components/CPU/drdflash.html

2. After making bootable floppy, copy ROM & Awdflash to disk.

3. Reboot into the bios and make sure removable drive is 1st, not CD or HDD. Also restore setup defaults. If you are running 4Gb of ram it would probably be a good idea to reduce ram to 1 or 2Gb. After flash, setup will restore DRAM voltage to default 1.8v which may not be able to power multiple sticks depending on what type of ram you have.

4. Reboot to floopy and when you get the A:\ prompt, type Awdflash.exe or Awdflash, whichever works. Inside the Award tool just follow the instructions, you will have to enter the correct path to the ROM as well.

5. After flashing let it do a full reboot. Now shut down the computer (PSU switch) and unplug it. Pull the battery and discharge the motherboard by holding in power button while touching chasis for approx 30 sec.

6. Re-install battery and post. Now set your mem voltage (mandatory) & timing (opptional) in bios to manufactures specs.

7. Shut the computer back down and add your remaining mem sticks.

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
No wonder I don't have that problem, I have it disabled in the bios. mi1ez, that should be good news for the Op. Here go some other features you can disable.

Spread Spectrum Control: All Disabled
CPU Internal Thermal Control: Disabled
Limit CPUID MaxVal=Disabled
Enhanced C1(C1E)=Disabled
CPU C State Capability=Disabled
Execute Disable Bit=Disabled
Virtualization Technology=Disabled
Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology