mana1111

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
Hi guys,

Just got to build my new system today:

CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor | $199.00 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler | Antec Kuhler H2O K 240 Liquid CPU Cooler |-
Motherboard | MSI B450M GAMING PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard | $84.99 @ Amazon
Memory | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory | $84.89 @ OutletPC
Storage | Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive | $77.89 @ OutletPC (Already got)
Storage | Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $94.89 @ OutletPC
Storage | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive | $42.95 @ Amazon (Already got)
Video Card | Asus GeForce GTX 970 4 GB Video Card |- (Already got)

Case | NZXT H400i MicroATX Mini Tower Case |-
Power Supply | Antec High Current Gamer Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | $92.99 @ Newegg
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $677.60
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-03 14:24 EDT-0400 |

I was stressing it with prime95 for 30 minutes getting cpu temps of around 80 with a peak of 87, an average of 72.5 and a minimum of 39. during resting the temps are around 40C.
I am pretty sure the Antec K240 cooler is sitting well on the CPU socket and have installed 2 120mm fans above and one at the rear of the case. Is there anything to worry about or should I literally close the case and roll on?

Also got another question regarding the K240 RBG lights. the LED is not working when it is connected to the JRBG on the MB but when I connect it to the Antec controller it works just fine. any idea why?

Thanks.

Solution
Thanks for your answer.
It's not just Prime95 I'm worried about but the temp during resting, I believe it's quite weird to get 40C with a 55C peak during doing nothing on a new build. What would you say should be the temps for resting and normal use and during moderate to heavy gaming?

Thanks.

I dont typically concert too much with idle temps as there are a lot of factors (ambient temps, case airflow, etc.) that play a role in the idle temps. Typically 30-40C is pretty standard and you are falling in that range. I would not worry about peaks, look at averages. Your CPU may peak to 55C at idle but it is really not idle. It may be running some background processes at that moment.

I dont know if you have adjusted the...

mana1111

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
Those temps are fine for Prime95. Change the AVX offset will probably lower the temps in Prime95. But for most use cases, you are not going to use AVX workloads, so it does not matter.

Thanks for your answer.
It's not just Prime95 I'm worried about but the temp during resting, I believe it's quite weird to get 40C with a 55C peak during doing nothing on a new build. What would you say should be the temps for resting and normal use and during moderate to heavy gaming?

Thanks.

Thanks for your answer.

Thanks.
I have two gaming systems I'm currently running.
i7-980 with a GTX 1080 stock cooler
i7-7800X with an RTX 2080 Ti Cooler Master V8 Cooler (it's a monster)

both systems idle in the 30s
both systems hit about 60C under full load
The RTX 2080 Ti hits 73C under full load
The GTX 1080 approaches 80C
nothing is OCed
I have huge cases with lots of case fans

as far as what I think they should be....
I'd like the CPU under 70C and the GPU under 80C.

Thanks for your answer.

Thanks.

I dont typically concert too much with idle temps as there are a lot of factors (ambient temps, case airflow, etc.) that play a role in the idle temps. Typically 30-40C is pretty standard and you are falling in that range. I would not worry about peaks, look at averages. Your CPU may peak to 55C at idle but it is really not idle. It may be running some background processes at that moment.

I dont know if you have adjusted the voltage or clockspeed, but the factory voltage may be higher than it needs to be. So it may be worth changing the v-core in the bios and see if you can get your system stable at a lower voltage. I would start with 1.2 volts and run Prime95. Dont worry if it crashes, it probably will and will just need more voltage. Bump it up in .01 increments till it is stable.

Again, Idle temps are not as big of a concern. If your CPU gets too hot, it will do it under load. 55C is not too hot. 95C is too hot. If your cooler was not installed properly, you would see much higher load temps and the CPU would throttle.

Solution

mana1111

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016

I dont know if you have adjusted the voltage or clockspeed, but the factory voltage may be higher than it needs to be. So it may be worth changing the v-core in the bios and see if you can get your system stable at a lower voltage. I would start with 1.2 volts and run Prime95. Dont worry if it crashes, it probably will and will just need more voltage. Bump it up in .01 increments till it is stable.

Again, Idle temps are not as big of a concern. If your CPU gets too hot, it will do it under load. 55C is not too hot. 95C is too hot. If your cooler was not installed properly, you would see much higher load temps and the CPU would throttle.

Hey and thanks again for your detailed replies. Well it's August so it's quite hot (This week 23-34) but I sometimes use air conditioning, the case has two in-air fans on the top and one out-air fan on the back, all 120mm which I think is sufficient.

I have noticed that during gaming the entire system feels loud and hot to a point where the tempered glass is hot slike a microwave or a small oven door (!!) so I did another test today duting resting for 30 minutes, results sucks and attached ahead:

2i6e9hk.jpg

An average of almost 50 with a peak of almost 70 degrees during doing nothing but monitoring the system makes me quite worried, Also system temps in general aren't that great :(

I don't want to undervolt the cpu core and still would like to get to 25-30 degrees during idle as was on my previous old system.

I made sure again the cooler is tight with the cpu socket however during the installation of it I tried to put the radiator on top of the case which put a bit of pressure on the cooler socket and at some point when I messed with it a bit the cooler went off so I had to reistall it and move the radiator to the front, guess the themal paste homogeneity got screwed at this point. I also did not add any thermal paste other than the one which came pre installed to the Antec cooler.

your thoughts? maybe I should add or re arrange the case fans or clean and put a new thermal paste?

Thanks again!

mana1111

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016

Thanks for the info but I believe it will result in a few degrees at most.

You can try and re arrange the setup. But I would look at the voltage. Many times the stock voltage set by the mobo is higher than it needs to be. There is no reason to put more voltage through a chip than necessary.

So I did not reinstall the Antec AIO cooling however I did rearrange the fans airflow so the rear fan will be used as inlet now while the top fans will exhaust air. This resulted in idle temps of CPU 43C and system 37C average hence 6 and 4 degrees less than the previous setup.

upload

However during gaming temps increase, CPU 57C, system 52C and GPU at 70C

upload

ATM my system is quite hot and loud and I think it has to do with the H400i case fans which suck. I have to find a way to solve both issues, I would like to improve my case airflow and probably need ro replace the case fans and mabe even the radiator ones.

My front is occupied by the radiator which has two inner 120mm exhaust fans so nothing to do there. I Was thinking of maybe getting a powerful and silent 140mm fan for the rear inlet? (must be 120mm screw mount though) and two silent 120mm fans for top as exhaust.

Would appreciate your thoughts and ideas, Thanks.