newman555

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
recently i posted that i have problems with my athlon 64 3200+ always being really hot. and now i got a suggestion to lower the voltage of my cpu. it was set to 1.6 since i bought my computer and now i tryed to lower it to 1.4 and that didn't work, system just blocked. then at 1.5 it worked but temp3 (don't really now what this is) in speed fan went form 19C to 51C, so i returned cpu voltage to 1.6V and then i had some problems with booting but after few shutdowns it started working normaly as always. So can anyone please axplain me or send me a link about cpu voltage and what can i and can't i do, and why is my cpu behaving like this (and what the heck is temp3???). sorry for longer post. thanks
p.s. when i set the voltage to 1.5V cpu temp did go from 42 in idle to 33C.

Temp3 is probably one of those sensors that must be defined by the user if SpeedFan cannot auto-detect the sensor. Ignore it.

The stock voltage for the Athlon 64 3200+ is either 1.4v or 1.5v. If the CPU core is called Venice (socket 939), then the voltage should be 1.4v. If you have the older Newcastle core, then the stock voltage is 1.5v.

It sounds like you have the older Newcastle core.

anticupidon

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
i had the same problem when i build my sistem
the culprit was the mobo who set the voltage on my 3200 venice to 1.6 as default setting
after i flashed the bios with a newer version the default voltage was 1.5
i set manually to 1.4 and now idle at 36 celsius
more info mobo? case/airflow?

newman555

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
mobo is epox kda3+, case is always open, i have 2 ventilators on the rear, zalman 7000A on the cpu(socket 754, that's Newcastle?). but the heat is not what i'm wandering about. can anyone explain why my system can't boot when i change the voltage to 1.4, or why do i have to turn it off 3,4 times when i return it to 1.6V to work. and can i damage cpu or something by doing this?what voltage do you recomend? are you sure that temp3 doesn't mean anything important?can i find out what it represents?
thanks for quick replies...

newman555

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
i would really appreciate if someone explained or gave me a link or recomend something that i can read so that i can understand how cpu voltage should be setup, or what if affects and stuff like that.thanks again

It's really simple.

Sometimes the motherboard's BIOS incorrectly sets the CPU voltage to be higher than the norm, like anticupidon's situation. Mobo manufacturers would then release a firmware upgrade so that owners can flash their BIOS to the latest version.

You could also simply go into your BIOS and manually set the CPU voltage. Which you've already done.

Since you have a socket 754 Athlon the default voltage is definitely 1.5v As for why your PC won't start up immediately after you changed your voltage, that could simply be:

1. That's the way it is for the motherboard. An inherent flaw.
2. Your mobo is no longer 100% stable.
3. You CPU is damaged due overheating as a result of too much voltage.
4. Both 3 and 4.

Reason number 1 is the more likely candidate.

anticupidon

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
sorry for not having time to give an answer...i was in germany on a trip
but now i'm home and reading tom's webpage... :D
jaguarskx thanks for filling the gap :wink:

newman555

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
it's ok, thanks for help...could you still recomend me an article or a book or anything that could give me a good overview of the subject (cpu voltage,overheat,what you can and can't and so on)...thanks again

newman555

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
yes, but that was year ago. thanks for articles, they helped. is there any book that deals with this subject, something that has it all in one place?

newman555

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
thanks for the effort, i would also look for it, but i'm new to this subject so i don't know what to look for exactly...

anticupidon

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
ok start using the power of google
write cpu voltage ,overheating wikipedia and so on... you will be amazed what google can do for you... :wink:
you could check the history of these very forums sure someone posted something related to your problem