[SOLVED] CPU Assistance [amateur here]

Nov 18, 2021
So I know nothing about the internals of computers and how to build them. My Processor burnt out and I need to replace it...

It's an AMD FX-6300.

I use DDR3, and I don't really know much else about my computer. I use a Nvidia GTX 960 for a graphics card.

What possible processors can I upgrade to without having to buy a bunch of new pieces to go with it?

Solution
So I know nothing about the internals of computers and how to build them. My Processor burnt out and I need to replace it...

It's an AMD FX-6300.

I use DDR3, and I don't really know much else about my computer. I use a Nvidia GTX 960 for a graphics card.

What possible processors can I upgrade to without having to buy a bunch of new pieces to go with it?
That is a 7 - 9 year old CPU. There are no NEW processors for your motherboard. You will have to buy used. I would just get another 6300. "Upgrade" is not a worthwhile term for that generation of AMD hardware. It was not great when new and hasn't aged well.

kanewolf

Titan

It's an AMD FX-6300.

That is a 7 - 9 year old CPU. There are no NEW processors for your motherboard. You will have to buy used. I would just get another 6300. "Upgrade" is not a worthwhile term for that generation of AMD hardware. It was not great when new and hasn't aged well.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Solution
Nov 18, 2021
Oh good god, okay.

So... where do i start then? salvage the parts from this tower pc and use in a new one? Or... is all my hardware just outdated as all hell?

kanewolf

Titan
Oh good god, okay.

So... where do i start then? salvage the parts from this tower pc and use in a new one? Or... is all my hardware just outdated as all hell?
The only thing I would "salvage" would be the GPU (as a temporary unit) and any SSDs you have. Spinning disks are probably older than 5 years so I would retire them.
Same with the power supply, older than 5 years, retire. If you really like the case you can keep it.
Your best bet is to read the how to on asking for help in getting a new system -- https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-new-build-or-upgrade-advice.528714/
Then start a NEW thread asking for help with a new system.

Nov 18, 2021
The only thing I would "salvage" would be the GPU (as a temporary unit) and any SSDs you have. Spinning disks are probably older than 5 years so I would retire them.
Same with the power supply, older than 5 years, retire. If you really like the case you can keep it.
Your best bet is to read the how to on asking for help in getting a new system -- https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-new-build-or-upgrade-advice.528714/
Then start a NEW thread asking for help with a new system.
Thank you for your help its much appreciated <3