Question CPU at 100% in game

TotalDbag

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013
Ok so recently I've been having a weird issue with my computer. When I play certain games it'll peg the cpu at 100% usage causing bad stutters and whatnot. It's done this for Apex legends and recently the Witcher 3. But the weird part is I have played these games for 30+ hours at 30-40% usage then randomly when I go to launch it at some point it goes to 100%. Relaunching doesn't solve it, a computer restart doesn't solve it, and looking in task manager doesn't show anything else using up my cpu. Just the game. No driver updates in between launches. When it happened with the Witcher today it was literally 5 minutes between launches.
I'll upgrade to a 3700x if I can't find the issue, but I'd rather wait until I can start putting a whole new build together
Specs :
I5 6600k @4.6ghz
Gtx 1070
16gb ram
Various ssds
Gigabyte gaming 5 z170 mobo
Custom waterloop

TotalDbag

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013
what you describe is usually THERMAL THROTTLING. check temps please. I think you might have flow issues.
second thing to check if CPU is not stuck inside IOWAIT.
it would show as 100% cpu, but its idling waiting for SSD to return data. Its one of first signs of dying SSD.
Not thermal throttling. Cpu never went above 45c. Just replaced the pump recently so I've been keeping an eye on it.
Also just ran that benchmark while playing a game. I posted the picture on the bottom. I even moved the game to another SSD on my computer and it still is at 100%
hZUUl0e.jpg

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Not thermal throttling. Cpu never went above 45c. Just replaced the pump recently so I've been keeping an eye on it.
Also just ran that benchmark while playing a game. I posted the picture on the bottom. I even moved the game to another SSD on my computer and it still is at 100%
hZUUl0e.jpg

Which drive do you have your operating system on? Is it on a different drive than the one your video games are stored on?

TotalDbag

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013
Which drive do you have your operating system on? Is it on a different drive than the one your video games are stored on?
The drive it originally was on was a separate drive. But I moved it to the C drive for my test.

And yes, windows 10. But all my games still launch and run fine. Just at 100% usage