[SOLVED] Cpu at 100% in games and GPU almost not used

May 29, 2020
Hello everyone,

I tried browsing for my issue, but I didn't found any conclusive information, so here I am.

First my config :
Proc : Intel Core i5 - 7600k @ 3.8 GHz
Ram 16 GO (2*8) DDR 4 2400 MHz CAS 15
Graphic card : nvidia Geforce GTX 1080
Alim : 700W 80+ Gold
Storage : 2 Samsung EVO 850 SSD 500 Go
MotherBoard : Some Asus ROG, but dunno exactly, but I can find it if it is really relevant.
Monitor : 1 12801920 120Hz 2 Random 12801920 60Hz mostly for work

Built in July 2017, change of motherboard in January 2018.

Since 2 months, my computer is having some freezes during games, it started when playing Doom Eternal, and then I started noticing it in lower specs games like League of Legends, Valorant and Metro Exodus.
After a good cleaning and a lot of research, I found out that the cause of my freezes is due to my processor going to 100% in these games, all while my GPU is taking it easy at max 50% usage. RAM never seems to be an issue. As for cooling, the CPU went at max at 74°C over 2 months of monitoring. I also tested my CPU on an online Benchmark, and I was in the 15 top Percent for this processor, sir I suppose it is not fried.

Oh, and during CPU heaving games liek Heart of iron 4 everything holds up fine

My question then is how can I improve the situation ? Are there parameters that can force my GPU to take the charge ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Your Problem: CPU bottleneck
Possilble Solution 1: Bump up your resolution from 1080p to 1440p, this way your GPU will push less FPS so your CPU can keep up. CPU bottleneck happens when games are CPU dependant AND/OR your GPU pushes so many frames that the CPU cannot keep up with it which causes stutters and crashes.
Disclaimer: Bumping up from 1080p to 1440p may not be enough to stop the bottlenecking since you're saying your GPU is sitting at 50% compared to your CPU at 100%. The bottleneck may be too large to fix just by bumping up the resolution.

Obvious Solution 2: Upgrade to a better CPU.

May 29, 2020
Your Problem: CPU bottleneck
Possilble Solution 1: Bump up your resolution from 1080p to 1440p, this way your GPU will push less FPS so your CPU can keep up. CPU bottleneck happens when games are CPU dependant AND/OR your GPU pushes so many frames that the CPU cannot keep up with it which causes stutters and crashes.
Disclaimer: Bumping up from 1080p to 1440p may not be enough to stop the bottlenecking since you're saying your GPU is sitting at 50% compared to your CPU at 100%. The bottleneck may be too large to fix just by bumping up the resolution.

Obvious Solution 2: Upgrade to a better CPU.

Hello, thank you for you quick answer. i didn't knew this would exist.

Ok i'm not so keen on option 2 because I'd like to think this config still have a good years coming :)

For Solution 1, can I do that via a software ? My monitor do not support 1440p. Also, would it make sense to limit FPS in games to solve that issue ? is there a way to limit that on games when it is not natively an option (like steam input at launch code or else ?)

Again thank you for your input !

May 29, 2020
Since you have a NVidia GPU, you could try using the Max Frame rate setting in the NVidia Control panel and see if that helps.
I'd try 75 or possibly even 65 if you have a 60 Hz monitor:
View: https://imgur.com/RbI9Kcr
Thanks, I'll try this out with 120 fps as my main monitor is 120Hz, and then reduce if it is still freezing. I'll come back if it still is a problem, but I guess you guys gave me pretty much all the options to my pretty simple problem. Thanks again !

Reactions: DMAN999
Hello, thank you for you quick answer. i didn't knew this would exist.

Ok i'm not so keen on option 2 because I'd like to think this config still have a good years coming :)

For Solution 1, can I do that via a software ? My monitor do not support 1440p. Also, would it make sense to limit FPS in games to solve that issue ? is there a way to limit that on games when it is not natively an option (like steam input at launch code or else ?)

Again thank you for your input !
@DMAN999 gave you the answer.