Question CPU at 100%

Apr 9, 2020
https://valid.x86.fr/9erwz9

When i play fortnite my cpu usage goes up to 100%. I can see in task manager that it is taking about 80% by itself. My GPU is only running at 40%. Im thinking about buying a new CPU if that is the only way, but im willing to see if any of you can help.

What is taking 80%? Fortnite? If so that's normal since fortnite is a CPU intensive game.

As far as upgrade your CPU unless you can get a good deal on a used i7-7700 (I would say 80-100 USD at the most) then you should look at upgrading your platform to a newer Intel or IMO Ryzen build.

Apr 9, 2020
My cpu is at 100% and i can feel lag and sometimes things dont load in. My friends in discord are saying that im lagging but it is my cpu. SOmetimes the sound ingame gets really laggy and it begins to stutter and turn on and off. I think there might be something wrong with my cpu.
So you wouldnt recomend buying an i7-7700K for retail price?

My cpu is at 100% and i can feel lag and sometimes things dont load in. My friends in discord are saying that im lagging but it is my cpu. SOmetimes the sound ingame gets really laggy and it begins to stutter and turn on and off. I think there might be something wrong with my cpu.
So you wouldnt recomend buying an i7-7700K for retail price?

No. The 7700/7700K is not worth the full retail cost since you are stuck at 4 core 8 Threads and have no where else to upgrade to.

Make sure you aren't having any thermal issues on both your CPU and GPU while you game. MSI Afterburner can be used to monitor both.

Apr 9, 2020
Is it hard to switch motherboards? Im not really a pc builder.
But do you think my cpu can be saved? Or do you think it is not worth saving

Even the 7700K, at only 4 cores and 8 threads, does not really have the CPU horsepower to be streaming/ DIscord, etc., while gaming....; the 7400 was semi- marginal for maintaining minimal adequate FPS rates for many games even when it released, although it is still plenty adequate for general usage such as surfing, MS Office, etc...

The current retail cost of most 7700K samples on Amazon would allow the purchase of an R5-3600 and a good B450 board. perhaps with $50 to spare....

Pay someone else $50 to build it for you if needed, perhaps a knowledgeable friend will do it for free..

As for building it yourself (swapping mainboards/CPU, fresh install of Win10), there are hundreds of videos on Youtube that detail the processes involved, if you decide to undertake it yourself...

Good luck!

Last edited:

Jlg823

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2013
Do you reccomendt buying a new CPU cooler? I only have the intel stock one
https://www.komplett.no/product/113...nter/prosessorer/amd-ryzen-5-3600x-prosessor#
I might get this one, its about 250 dollars with a cooler

Or this "pack"

View: https://imgur.com/a/XgJQLFZ

For about 520 dollars.
I'd recommend getting RAM thats rated at a faster speed. Ryzen CPUs love RAM speed. After 3600mhz it has diminishing returns though so anything between 3200~3600mhz would be good. Keep in mind too for RAM to run at it's advertised speeds you must go into the BIOS and enable "XMP". Since the advertised speed is essentially an "overclock" because the default DDR4 RAM runs at 2133mhz.

Which one do you reccomend then, for around the same pricerange

At the moment the most sold B450 Motherboard for it's VRM's and global quality and performance is the B450 Tomahawk Max and the B450 gaming pro Carbon AC. They are both in the mid-tier VRM's tier list. Better than anything in the low end for sure.

The Tomahawk max comes out of the box ready for the Ryzen 3600. The MAX in the title of the motherboard means it is ready for the 3000 Ryzen series. Motherboard without the max in the title will need a BIOS update to support the 3600. Some of the non max was updated to support the 3600 but you have to ask the seller if it's updated or you risk having a board that does not support the 3600 without a BIOS update.

I would recommend you get the Tomahawk Max.

Apr 9, 2020
At the moment the most sold B450 Motherboard for it's VRM's and global quality and performance is the B450 Tomahawk Max and the B450 gaming pro Carbon AC. They are both in the mid-tier VRM's tier list. Better than anything in the low end for sure.

The Tomahawk max comes out of the box ready for the Ryzen 3600. The MAX in the title of the motherboard means it is ready for the 3000 Ryzen series. Motherboard without the max in the title will need a BIOS update to support the 3600. Some of the non max was updated to support the 3600 but you have to ask the seller if it's updated or you risk having a board that does not support the 3600 without a BIOS update.

I would recommend you get the Tomahawk Max.
Ok thanks for the help, would you reccomend to buy a fan with the cpu or just use the stock one

Ok thanks for the help, would you reccomend to buy a fan with the cpu or just use the stock one

If you ask for my personal experience with the Ryzen stock cooler here is my opinion on it. The stock cooler will do the job BUT I saw them at full load while trying to play intensive gaming sessions. If you do not mind having a jet engine sound coming out of your case buy the stock cooler. If you want a quieter cooler that will give you a good difference in temperature and sound just buy a cheap aftermarket cooler like the Artic Freezer Esport34 DUO or the Hyper 212 Black. They are both like 40 bux and they are better than the stock cooler.

If you don't mind about the sound and your CPU going to the 80-90C depending on your room temperature etc just keep the stock cooler.

Btw the sound isn't that bad. I find it personally annoying when a fan is just loud enough to make you go crazy and this is the only reason why I recommend you buy a 40 dollars aftermarket cooler. To get better temperature and sound level. The stock cooler can do the job tho. They did not release a cooler with their CPU that can't cope with it.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020
If you ask for my personal experience with the Ryzen stock cooler here is my opinion on it. The stock cooler will do the job BUT I saw them at full load while trying to play intensive gaming sessions. If you do not mind having a jet engine sound coming out of your case buy the stock cooler. If you want a quieter cooler that will give you a good difference in temperature and sound just buy a cheap aftermarket cooler like the Artic Freezer Esport34 DUO or the Hyper 212 Black. They are both like 40 bux and they are better than the stock cooler.

If you don't mind about the sound and your CPU going to the 80-90C depending on your room temperature etc just keep the stock cooler.

Btw the sound isn't that bad. I find it personally annoying when a fan is just loud enough to make you go crazy and this is the only reason why I recommend you buy a 40 dollars aftermarket cooler. To get better temperature and sound level. The stock cooler can do the job tho. They did not release a cooler with their CPU that can't cope with it.
Ok thank you dude <3
This is now my shopping cart.
Let me know if there is anything wrong.
View: https://imgur.com/a/mXuJClf

You could change the Corsir TM30 Thermal Paste for one in the top best thermal paste like the Artic MX4.

For the RAM. Buy the Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 RAM and not the CL18 RAM.

For the NVMe SSD. Do you absolutely need an NVMe? You could buy a normal SSD with double the space for the same price. an NVMe will only save you a few seconds at best on loading time. Just look at any loading speed test NVme vs SATA SSD on youtube to see how small the difference is.