[SOLVED] CPU at 50 degrees celsius at idle

Solution
Understand that ambient temp is the temp of the air that surrounds/feeds a component. So if you think about a cpu air cooler, the ambient air is what's inside the case, same with a top/rear mounted liquid cooler and almost all gpus in a standard configuration. Mostly, only a front mounted liquid cooler uses Room ambient air.

So consider there's a gpu, cpu, chipsets, ram, other small heatsinks giving off heat inside a case. This is where airflow matters most, a well ventilated, good airflow case can get most of that radiated heat out of the case, so case temps stay just a little above Room ambient temp. In a poorly ventilated, bad airflow case, case ambient temps will be considerably higher than Room ambient.

This is important because...

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
I don't really know what counts as high ambient temperature, but it's around 25-30 degrees celsius.
What i meant by ambient temperature, is it's your room temperature, when if it's high, then with stock cooler it's bound to do those temperature you mentioned. Those temperature are normal for that wraith spire cooler. My summer temperature are 40deg, so my room temperature will be high. So either go for an aftermarket tower cooler or an liquid cooler for overclocking

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Understand that ambient temp is the temp of the air that surrounds/feeds a component. So if you think about a cpu air cooler, the ambient air is what's inside the case, same with a top/rear mounted liquid cooler and almost all gpus in a standard configuration. Mostly, only a front mounted liquid cooler uses Room ambient air.

So consider there's a gpu, cpu, chipsets, ram, other small heatsinks giving off heat inside a case. This is where airflow matters most, a well ventilated, good airflow case can get most of that radiated heat out of the case, so case temps stay just a little above Room ambient temp. In a poorly ventilated, bad airflow case, case ambient temps will be considerably higher than Room ambient.

This is important because it's physically impossible to cool a cpu to below ambient temps by mechanical means. A fan blowing air across a heatsink is mechanical process, it'd take a chemical process like liquid nitrogen to get below ambient.

So if your room temp is 40°C, expect that you'll generally see 43ish°C to 50ish°C inside a case, putting the absolute minimum a cpu temp will be is @ 45°C to 55°C. Generally an intel cpu will be @ 6-10°C higher, an AMD cpu @ 10-20°C higher than room ambient depending on the cooler's efficiency.

Airflow matters.

Reactions: coolraveen
Solution