Question CPU AT 70C IN BIOS

Braddersc

Prominent
Jun 26, 2019
I had an i5 4460 which ran at about 30-35 idle and 70 when running games which is fine. I then installed my new i7 4790 and it was super slow. I checked bios and it was running at 90c so I imediately turned it off and resintalled my i5 4460. Now this is running still at about 70c when I’m bios. Please help. I’ve tried 2 cpu stock fans and have ordered a hyper 212 eco which comes in few days

Lutfij

Titan
With both instances what sort of thermal paste did you use between the cooler and the CPU's IHS? You forgot to mention the make and model of the motherboard as well. better yet, list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Braddersc

Prominent
Jun 26, 2019
With both instances what sort of thermal paste did you use between the cooler and the CPU's IHS? You forgot to mention the make and model of the motherboard as well. better yet, list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
I used a thermal paste from eBay which I have used before and it’s fine

Cpu: i5 4460
Mobo: gigabyte ga h81m-s2h
Ram: 16GB Corsair ddr3
Ssd: 120gb Kingston and 1tb wd
Gpu: gigabyte gtx 970
Psu: evga 500w
Chassis: phanteks p350x

I think there is some sort of issue with the cooler.
I would check to make sure it's not loose.
There may also be something wrong with the fan motor.
I would also be in the BIOS checking the fan curve and seeing what I could get from that.
Being that you changed the CPU and the problem occurred....is why I think it's the cooler.

Improper installation of Intel stock cooler.

After removal of Intel stock cooler, push pins need to be reset before you can use the cooler again. If you don't do that, result is poor contact between cooler and cpu. Also thermal paste needs to be reapplied before re-installation of cooler.

resettingpushpins4.jpg

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005852/processors.html

Braddersc

Prominent
Jun 26, 2019
I think there is some sort of issue with the cooler.
I would check to make sure it's not loose.
There may also be something wrong with the fan motor.
I would also be in the BIOS checking the fan curve and seeing what I could get from that.
Being that you changed the CPU and the problem occurred....is why I think it's the cooler.
Yeah I thought the cooler too but I have refitted it like 5 times

is the 4790 identified correctly in the BIOS at power on/self-test display? (Everything CPU multiplier/voltage related set to 'auto'?)

You might need to clear CMOS, and/or, do a repair install, as Windows device mngr sometimes gets confused after doing CPU swaps...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Nothing you can do but wait for the hyper212. There's no way the stock Intel fan for the 4th gen i5 is going to be anywhere near effective enough for that i7. That's a 100w cooler on a cpu that'll hit 105w stock. Expect it to hit in the 90's gaming and throttle/shutdown if you stress with Prime95 small fft.