CPU Auto Voltage question.

Martin_51

Commendable
Apr 3, 2016
hello, i have been reading around the web, about the auto voltage, and iv learned that you shouldnt have it on. but my question is.
how do i disable it ? or set it to some other option ? i have looked over BIOS and cant figure it out. i got an I7 6700k, MSI Z170A gaming M7.

Martin_51

Commendable
Apr 3, 2016

yeh i shouldnt be touching it if i dont know what im doing, but even in advanced there aren`t any other option. like auto/adaptive/manual. and so on. was just wondering. because i read an article here, that said having it on auto is a bad thing when it comes to heat.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

Just as an EXAMPLE, for a 7700k to run at 4.5, 1.28v is all that's needed to keep it stable. Let's say auto mode does 1.33.
It's just some extra headroom with a little extra heat included, but you won't have to worry about stability. Again, just an example, as power requirements vary for each chip, and it'll require testing on your end - small adjustments, please - to figure out what's stable/unstable. There are guides, but again, results will vary, however slightly.