[SOLVED] CPU base clock and Turbo frequency

jorge_medion

Honorable
Jan 20, 2018
Anyone understands how CPU base clock and Turbo frequency exactly works? My question is basically that if I have a CPU with base clock 2.5 GHz and Turbo 3.5 GHz, when the CPU will work at 2.5 GHz and when the CPU will work at 3.5 GHz? If I'm playing a game, and the game requires more than 2.5 GHz to performs well, will the CPU automatically increases the clock frequency to over 2.5 GHz or do I need to do it manually?

The last question I have is, what is more important: a CPU with lower base clock but higher turbo frequency or a CPU with higher base clock but lower turbo frequency? For example:
CPU A: base clock 2.2 GHz and Turbo 4.1 GHz
CPU B: base clock 2.8 GHz and Turbo 3.8 GHz

Solution
First off....I think you mean "base frequency" and not "base clock". They are different.

Basically turbo kicks in when a certain load on the CPU is reached and the CPU isn't too hot.

So in your case....the CPU will run at 2.5 GHz until a certain load is reached....then the multiplier will increase and the CPU frequency will increase up until the turbo frequency, which in your case is 3.5 GHz.

"will the CPU automatically increases the clock frequency to over 2.5 GHz or do I need to do it manually?"

Yes. ....and no you don't need to do it manually...but I think there is an option in the BIOS to turn Turbo Boost on and off. You want it on.

As far as the last question...I think (all things being equal) you would get better...
First off....I think you mean "base frequency" and not "base clock". They are different.

Basically turbo kicks in when a certain load on the CPU is reached and the CPU isn't too hot.

So in your case....the CPU will run at 2.5 GHz until a certain load is reached....then the multiplier will increase and the CPU frequency will increase up until the turbo frequency, which in your case is 3.5 GHz.

"will the CPU automatically increases the clock frequency to over 2.5 GHz or do I need to do it manually?"

Yes. ....and no you don't need to do it manually...but I think there is an option in the BIOS to turn Turbo Boost on and off. You want it on.

As far as the last question...I think (all things being equal) you would get better performance out of the CPU with the higher Turbo Boost frequency...because it just makes sense.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS