[SOLVED] CPU beeping continuously and turning off

amjadh678

Reputable
Sep 17, 2017
So this is a little frustrating. I have to say it from the start.

So I have a PC with i3-4150 with Gigabyte H81M-S Board. Yes it is a little old as my upgrade plans where ruined by the pandemic. So the issue is as follows. I own two ADATA Premier 4GBx2 RAMs which makes a total of 8GB. They were working so perfect. So last month my cousin asked if he could borrow one of my RAM Card as he have only 4GB and needed 8GB for some kind of Editing lessons or something. I agreed as I only use my PC for watching Amazon Prime these days, and gave him a 4GB RAM from slot A. I had a leftover Corsair 2GB ram in my shelf and I plugged it in the now spare slot on my board, for a total of 6GB ram.

So after a month, I asked him back my RAM Card. He brought it back, and I removed the 2GB and plugged back in my 4GB Card. Just as I turned on the PC it started beeping continuously and turned itself off, kept restarting, beeps a dozen times, and turns off. I removed the RAM card that I just plugged in and tested it with my old 4GB card only in it. I got the same result, beeps and shutdowns. I unplugged both 4GBs and plugged in the 2GB RAM and turned the PC on. It booted just fine and went to desktop. I thought the 4GB RAMs were screwed, so I took both of those straight to my cousins home, unplugged his ram, and seated both my RAMs onto his 3rd Gen i3 PC. It booted just fine with total 8GB of my memory. Confused, I got back and plugged them to my PC again. It started beeping and shuts down. I plugged the 2GB RAM to A-slot and one of the 4GB ram to B-slot, and it booted just fine with 6gb of ram. Its just that now my PC won't boot with either of my cards ONLY in it or both in it. It will only work if I plug that 2GB RAM on slot A and either of those 4GBs on slot B, but the cards work fine on other PCs. Can somebody please enlighten me what the hell is going on?? I am bewildered beyond measure...

Last edited:
Solution
What is the make and model of your PSU and it's age? You might want to disconnect the system from the wall and your display and then remove the CMOS battery for at least 30 minutes. Replace the battery and then try with both slots populated on the motherboard. Speaking of ram slots, you might want to take a fine bristled paint brush to clean the ram slots and then use an eraser to wipe the gold contacts on your rams, wipe clean then repopulate the slots on the motherboard.

While on the 2GB stick of ram, can you check and see what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing? You will also need to take note of your motherboard's PCB revision number.

Lutfij

Titan
What is the make and model of your PSU and it's age? You might want to disconnect the system from the wall and your display and then remove the CMOS battery for at least 30 minutes. Replace the battery and then try with both slots populated on the motherboard. Speaking of ram slots, you might want to take a fine bristled paint brush to clean the ram slots and then use an eraser to wipe the gold contacts on your rams, wipe clean then repopulate the slots on the motherboard.

While on the 2GB stick of ram, can you check and see what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing? You will also need to take note of your motherboard's PCB revision number.

Solution

amjadh678

Reputable
Sep 17, 2017

Thankyou for quick reply mate, My PSU is a an year old Corsair VS550. And how could 2GB RAM work in my slot if it is a slot issue and how could my 4GB RAMs work on my cousin's PC if it is a RAM issue?

amjadh678

Reputable
Sep 17, 2017

Thankyou so much Mate, The Eraser job did the magic trick. 15 years of me tingling with PCs and being the techhead of the family, still don't know most basic of solutions. Thanks Again...