Question CPU behavior on Windows (higher bench score when after a fresh boot)

radyab1297

Honorable
Aug 5, 2016
Hi,

I face this problem, testing two cpus: 10600KF and 10700KF, and the result is the same both on stock and OC settings.
The problem is when I login to Windows 10 after a a boot and let the system to stablized for a minute or two, If I run a benchmark (tested cinebench R20 and CPU-Z) I get higher score (about 5%) compared performing the same benchmark after a while staying on Windows. So, first benchmarks scores are inline with review scores.
I checked to see if I get some unusual processes over time, but I am pretty sure nothing is unusual.
Also, I monitor my CPU and it seems no thermal problem.

I would like to know if anyone have faced such a weird behavior

Update: It is the case if I run the CPU on the base clock (turbo disabled). I still get lower scores after a while staying on Windows. It is really frustrating

Last edited:
Did you leave the turbo power limits set to their default values in the BIOS? If these limits are at default values, The 10700K can slow down significantly during back to back benchmarks.

Run HWiNFO while Cinebench R20 is running and keep an eye on the the Effective Clock speed. This should be steady during the entire benchmark. Even if you run Cinebench over and over again, the Effective Clock should not vary. Many people set their Intel CPUs to default settings and lose a lot of performance because of it.

ErUyJzg.png

radyab1297

Honorable
Aug 5, 2016
It is not necessarily back to back bench. If I bench several times in the begining after a fresh boot, the result is still high. But if you do something else or just leave the compuer for a few minutes, then the bench score decreases meaningfully.
But you are right, when I get lower score, effective clock is meaningully lower than what I set. From "turbo power limits ", you mean package power limit (which is on Auto and showing 4000ish Watts)? Because I couldn't find such a setting.
I am using an Asus board. Could you tell me what exactly I should look for?

Thanks

radyab1297

Honorable
Aug 5, 2016
The problem is Untimalware Service Excecutable, which runs alongside the process and takes about 3% of the CPU usage. This service seems to get activated after a certain period.
It can be considered as no problem and it is part of the Winsows Firewall Protection.
But if you are taking care of every last bit of your CPU peroformance in your work or benchmark, you should disable Windows Firewall.

Last edited:
The problem is not the Antimalware service. Other people on other forums have recently noticed this same issue. Running ThrottleStop was enough for them to keep their CPU Effective Clock steady at the maximum speed.

radyab1297

Honorable
Aug 5, 2016
The problem is not the Antimalware service. Other people on other forums have recently noticed this same issue. Running ThrottleStop was enough for them to keep their CPU Effective Clock steady at the maximum speed.

Throttlestop is basically gives you the functionality of tunning without needing to enter to the bios. It is completely unrelated to this issue. I mentioned that this behavior is not related to a default bios, OC bios, and even if you turn off the turbo (means your CPU is operating not above the base clock).
I monitored my task behavior, and I saw that Antimalware service Exectutable is running alongside a benchmark and taking about 3% of the CPU usage when I run a benchmark. When and how this task works is set in Windows Scheduler. Now my system is up for 3 hours and I see this task is not running when I run a benchmark, so it means that I don't have a decreased bench score.