CPU Being a pain

thatblockishway

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017
I bought this mobo:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01746799
And this CPU:
https://ark.intel.com/products/37159/Intel-Core2-Quad-Processor-Q9500-6M-Cache-2_83-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB
The mobo says itll support the cpu, made sure everything was right down to the architecture and tdp but when I have the CPU installed I get about half way through the windows log in animation before it bluescreens.
I know the board does work as it does just fine with an old pentium just seems to be touchy about this chip.
Can someone help me figure out what the issue may be or help me find a bios update? I cant seem to find one
(And before someone suggests buying new stuff, yes I know how old this shit is and yes I realise how affordable a slightly newer build would be. It's for an ultra budget build for a friend and this was the best I could do with the budget)
@cin19 Its coupled with a 450W PSU, that should be enough... And I can't find a bios update for it, HP's website is useless for this

Many thanks to you guys for answering, before I got a new cpu or boggled my head trying to find the right update again I did a fresh install of win. Works fine now, guess win was just acting stupid again (couldnt have been a virus, comp has never connected to the internet)

Solution
Use the old pentium to boot into the BIOS, check the PC had the newer version BIOS or not, if it did not, try to find the BIOS from HP. After update the BIOS, try use the c2q 9500 again.

Also make sure you have the PSU to handle the c2q 9500 too, because if the PC came with the pentium, the PC may have lower wattagw one.
Use the old pentium to boot into the BIOS, check the PC had the newer version BIOS or not, if it did not, try to find the BIOS from HP. After update the BIOS, try use the c2q 9500 again.

Also make sure you have the PSU to handle the c2q 9500 too, because if the PC came with the pentium, the PC may have lower wattagw one.

Solution

combatvizslaiv

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017
If you say the Pentium works fine, I would say that the Core2 you bought is broken, maybe from thermal damage over the years, therefore causing it to bluescreen. Thermal issues are very often the main issue in causing a bluescreen. If you have an error code, be sure to look it up online, or ask me and I can 'decipher' it for you.