CPU(?) being more sensitive than it was before

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Reviake

Reputable
Oct 12, 2016
Hey, for the last year or two I've had some issues with what I believe is my CPU fan.
Whenever I would be playing something that was even the slightest CPU heavy I would start to hear the fan be louder than I'd like, maybe I'm just worrying too much about the fan when I don't really need to, I'm not sure.
But when my total CPU usage goes up to 35-40% I can start to hear my PC be louder than it usually is and going above that I start to get worried, once again, even though maybe I shouldn't.
I've not felt comfortable playing GTA V since it came out due to the loudness of it and I tried playing Skyrim again for the first time in 2 years and it got louder than before.
I used to always play Skyrim on ultra and heavy enb etc without me noticing any sound at all but now I can defintely hear it change depening on where I am in the game, and it is never quiet anymore. Mind you that it is not performance issues at all so far, just strictly it being loud.

I feel like people might first go and try to tell me to clean the CPU fan, at least properly, I have tried doing it before but I am always scared about breaking something in there since I do not have the money right now to replace anything that would break. But if that is the only thing that people get to then; how do I go on about doing it in the best way? Things to think about before I start and maybe a video or something that properly shows how to do it.

Solution

Reviake

Reputable
Oct 12, 2016
Just one more thing before I take my leave for now. Would you guys say that I am just overreacting to my fans being loud? Should I just stop worrying and "let them do their job" and as long as I don't crash/overheat etc I really shouldn't worry as much as I do? I mean, I don't hear it when I have my headphones on with music/game either way, it just bothers me because I think it sounds wrong, but that could just be me.

Thanks a lot for the good and quick replies in this thread guys. I will just hold off for a bit until I go away and can get a can of compressed air and see if that helps, if not just try and get money for an upgrade sooner, which I would've wanted either way.
I guess playing Skyrim on lower than ultra for a while wouldn't be too horrible, and once I get the upgrade I'd probably just be even happier then.

GameFreak01048

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016

Any odd sound from a PC or a change in sound is a completely acceptable reason to get a bit sort of "woah ok what?" like with my PC, I heard my second HDD spin up and the first time that happened I nearly started shaking :D But it's best to be proactive than reactive with a gaming PC, we have seen that your CPU cooler is loud, it's bothering you, so change it, simple as that :) It should be alright for now, just clean it out and bear in mind that at some point a cooler upgrade would be a logical step to take :)

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
you lucky you don't have a PS4, mine sounds like a jet engine starting up when I play games :)

I wouldn't worry about it at all unless it does start causing overheating problems (though I can't talk, I hate it when my CPU is at 100% and my PC sounds like it s going to take off, but that is rare and only happens during anti virus scans on my ssd. I watch my temps all summer even though I know the CPU can run hotter than I am comfortable with).

My PC between me and a window, EVERY unknown noise is always blamed on PC until i get up and move around room :)

Reviake

Reputable
Oct 12, 2016
I'm getting a nice bulk of money in about 2 months time, and won't really get anything before that and I intend on getting a full upgrade then since I haven't really upgraded this one for about 4-5 years. So I will just have to come to sense with the fact that it will make more of a sound and that I shouldn't be terrified of it, at least not yet.

Either way thanks again! :)