CPU--BEST OF THE BEST

s1lent

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
I need some help with selecting a new CPU. I need to know what is compatible with my MOBO? What is the best CPU out right now, that is reasonable in price. I can spend about $100 to $150!

This is what I am running right now.

Tower--Ninja (478x260x540mm)
ASUS Crosshair 941 pin motherboard (Nvidia chipset board)
AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual core 5600+ 2.91 ghz
XfX Geforce 9800 GTX + 512 DDr3
4 gb
372 gb harddrive
Rocketfish 550w power supply
Vista 32bit

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

rooseveltdon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
at that price range i'd go for the phenom ll x3 720BE but i don t know if it will go with your mobo though...i know it works with am2+ and up so if your mobo is am2+ then that's your best option.

Zenthar

Distinguished
Finding CPU compatibility list is a pain on most websites, the only exception being Gigabyte where you can find it on the actual MB page and don't have to go to the Support section or a totally different section of the website.

That is why, most of the time I just go to www.cpu-upgrade.com ... quick, easy and accurate :p.

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007

Thats a nice site....Thanks, I saved it.

R.

It looks like the PhI 9850BE or PhI 9950BE would be your max. I think some folks have gotten PhIIs to work but they were not 'officially' recognized. Your HT will be a bit 'neutered' anyway ...

Here are some benchies for yahs ...
http://www.guru3d.com/article/cpu-scaling-in-games-with-quad-core-processors/5

At 16x12 and up things may work out well for yah - I wouldn't expect a massive leap in performance unless your game(s) can take advantage of 4 cores ...

How does it compare to what I am running right now? AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual core 5600+ 2.91 ghz

You should be able to clock your X2 5600+ to around 3.2GHz and bring your RAMs up to spec DDR2 800MHz.

All you need to do is raise the AMD base clock to 220MHz and drop the HT to x4 (might take a slight bump to 1.375v for your cpu)

I'm thinkin' you might be running the X2 5600+ Brisbane. Is it one of the other many flavors? :lol:

Zenthar

Distinguished
It should be relatively faster (2.9GHz vs 2.2GHz), but not day and night. And yes it should be compatible, but you will probably need latest BIOS (F7E I think).

:non: Please do not hijack other peoples threads. If you have a new question, please start a new thread rather than posting in someone else's thread. It is very rude.