[SOLVED] CPU Better Performance on Battery vs Plugged In

May 5, 2022
Evening gentlemen,

Since the December of 2021 my laptop developed a strange habit of running better on battery than plugged in.
Specs:
HP Pavillion Gaming 15
Intel Core i7-8750H [6 cores]
Nvidia 1050Ti 4GB
BIOS: InsydeH20, F.25

Here are some scenarios:
CPU speeds when Laptop Idle:

Plugged in: ranges between 2GHz-3.9GHz Battery: always over 3.5GHz
CPU speeds when Laptop performs a Stress Test[CPU-Z]:
Plugged in: always 0.79GHz Battery: around 2.5GHz
Now the CPU utilisation is capped at 36% when plugged in and 100% on battery.

Things I tried:
-Power Options: Processor Power Management set to 100% both on battery and plugged in [I tried both power plans: Balanced and High Performance]
-Update BIOS to the latest version, [had the prior to latest version]
-Reinstalling Windows 10, multiple times
-Clean[of dust] the motherboard and apply thermal paste to the CPU

After some research, I was suggested to try older version of BIOS:
-Rollback to a BIOS version from late 2019, nothing changes
After some other research, I found that the 20H2 version of Windows 10 has some bugs on the power management
-Got the Windows 10 version 1809, still no difference

Other things I tried:
-Used Throttlestop, changes on udervolting, power limits, bd prochot and all that crazy stuff, had no effect what so ever.
I also observed that in the "Limit Reasons" the EDP Others and PL1 and PL2 flags are always toggling, even tho the CPU temperatures are 40C-50C. The Power Options of BIOS are locked [they don't appear in the BIOS menu] maybe that's why ThrottleStop its not working.

Final Words:
I feel like I tried everything, but without getting anywhere. It's frustrating as I have a ton of work to do, mainly for my grad degree project.. where I use tools that consume a lot of resources... I can't afford another pc/laptop, so please if you have any idea of what I could do to solve this, please help!

Some screenshots of this lovely experience:
View: https://imgur.com/a/wAsBQmp

Solution
@mirrageman
You should definitely not be seeing any PL2 power limit throttling. Power consumption is only 4,1W in your screenshot.

One of the internal power limits that ThrottleStop does not have access to is being set to a ridiculously low value. Not sure why. There is no easy way to fix this without replacing parts like the battery, the power adapter and then the motherboard.

Sad to see that your laptop is now basically unusable after only a couple of years of use.
it's possible that while plugged in to it's adapter, perhaps a portion of the available power budget is devoted towards feeding the battery, vice powering the CPU and GPU portions. (Although most would expect the opposite to occur). You can investigate the assorted power settings, as there are a handful of settings that affect behavior when running on battery vice when plugged into a charger...

Depending on the design of the mainboard's charging system, available power budget when on/off battery (actions might differ if battery starts off charged vice being at below 50%, etc.) it's also possible there might not be a true solution to that issue.

@mirrageman
Post screenshots of the ThrottleStop TPL and FIVR windows. EDP OTHER throttling across all 3 domains is usually caused by Power Limit 4 in the TPL window or the IccMax settings in the FIVR window.

Without seeing some screenshots, I cannot see what is locked and what can be adjusted.

Are you using the original HP power adapter?

May 5, 2022
@mirrageman
Post screenshots of the ThrottleStop TPL and FIVR windows. EDP OTHER throttling across all 3 domains is usually caused by Power Limit 4 in the TPL window or the IccMax settings in the FIVR window.

Without seeing some screenshots, I cannot see what is locked and what can be adjusted.

Are you using the original HP power adapter?
Thanks for the reply.

I can post screenshots of Throttlestop configuration windows, but I stopped using it since there is no difference in performance, the changes in Throttlestop don't affect the laptop. Anyway here are the screenshots:
View: https://imgur.com/a/cOiXYay

And yes, I am using the original power adapter.

May 5, 2022
it's possible that while plugged in to it's adapter, perhaps a portion of the available power budget is devoted towards feeding the battery, vice powering the CPU and GPU portions. (Although most would expect the opposite to occur). You can investigate the assorted power settings, as there are a handful of settings that affect behavior when running on battery vice when plugged into a charger...

Depending on the design of the mainboard's charging system, available power budget when on/off battery (actions might differ if battery starts off charged vice being at below 50%, etc.) it's also possible there might not be a true solution to that issue.
Well I didn't have this problem until December 2021, and I got the laptop in 2019...
I already tried to investigate, couldn't find any other options beside the Power Plan, Advanced Power Options. I would try to look about these options in the BIOS, but I don't have them because HP decided to lock them.
Should I try anything else, or just a new laptop? [even tho im broke TT]

@mirrageman
You should definitely not be seeing any PL2 power limit throttling. Power consumption is only 4,1W in your screenshot.

One of the internal power limits that ThrottleStop does not have access to is being set to a ridiculously low value. Not sure why. There is no easy way to fix this without replacing parts like the battery, the power adapter and then the motherboard.

Sad to see that your laptop is now basically unusable after only a couple of years of use.

Solution