[SOLVED] Cpu black ink or glue?

Aug 11, 2020
So basically i built this pc last week and for some other reason i disarmed the pc, when i did and took the processor out I saw this blakc stuff around the cpu between the green part and silver part, my question is what is it? because i dont know if is thermal paste since i cleaned it and was not coming off. My other concern if is not bad is it okay if is missing the black stuff on one of the sides?Image

Solution
Silicone or another 'glue' holding the heatspreader and the substrate together.
Yes, it's 'ok' to be missing some. There should still be enough to keep it in place and regardless, it's not strictly needed, but makes it a little more tricky to work with without.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Silicone or another 'glue' holding the heatspreader and the substrate together.
Yes, it's 'ok' to be missing some. There should still be enough to keep it in place and regardless, it's not strictly needed, but makes it a little more tricky to work with without.

Solution

InvalidError

Titan
it's not strictly needed, but makes it a little more tricky to work with without.
Well, it kind of is required, otherwise the IHS could separate from the rest of the CPU and leave the die exposed. The adhesive also acts as a buffer to prevent the IHS from gouging its way through the substrate over time with thermal contraction-expansion cycles and fan vibrations.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Well, it kind of is required, otherwise the IHS could separate from the rest of the CPU and leave the die exposed. The adhesive also acts as a buffer to prevent the IHS from gouging its way through the substrate over time with thermal contraction-expansion cycles and fan vibrations.

Agree to disagree.

The IHS could separate, yes... or potentially gouge into the substrate with abnormal alignment &/or force... but that doesn't make it strictly needed, which is all I said. It's far from critical to operation. The CPU can function without the 'glue', with the IHS simply sitting in place & help in place by the cooler. Definitely more tricky to work with.

InvalidError

Titan
The IHS could separate, yes... or potentially gouge into the substrate with abnormal alignment &/or force.
If you have metal sitting directly on something much softer in a vibration-prone environment, you will get wear over time regardless of how "proper" your alignment and force are. It may take years for the IHS to wear its way through the substrate's mask layer and short traces underneath but will get there eventually.