[SOLVED] CPU boot fail

Jun 19, 2019
Just bought the Ryzen 5 3600 and a new MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC and the debugging LED on the motherboard says that there is an error with the CPU. I tried flashing a new BIOS for the motherboard that updates for the Ryzen 3000 series CPUs but the debugging LED still is on saying there is an error with the CPU. I know that I have mounted the CPU correctly and plugged in the power and I checked that none of the pins are bent or broken so I'm stuck at what do to now, any advice?

Solution
You might want to contact AMD and see if a Loaner CPU is available in your country.
If it is you could use it to see if you can even boot with an 2000 series CPU and that BIOS and possibly set the BIOS settings to Optimized Defaults before installing the 3600.

Short Term Processor Loan Boot Kit
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100

I thonk your only other option is to wait until MSI posts a newer BIOS for the 3000 series CPU's and see if that helps.

And FYI,
I have seen quite a few other people posting on various forums that are having similar issues with the Flashback feature when updating to those new Beta BIOS versions.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Did you make sure the BIOS settings were set to Optimized Defaults before trying to Boot with the 3600 installed ?
If not then try clearing the CMOS (follow directions in your MB Manual) and see if that lets you get into the BIOS so you can do that.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Does the Gaming Pro Carbon have the BIOS flash functionality via a button on the back? If not, you'll need a compatible CPU (1000 or 2000 series)

I believe it does though, and you can update without a CPU installed - but you should remove the CPU to do so.
It doesn't read as strictly necessary in the BIOS flash 'rules', but there have been a few reports of the Tomahawk not flashing properly with a CPU actually installed.

Jun 19, 2019
Did you make sure the BIOS settings were set to Optimized Defaults before trying to Boot with the 3600 installed ?
If not then try clearing the CMOS (follow directions in your MB Manual) and see if that lets you get into the BIOS so you can do that.
Can you enter the bios without a CPU? I don't have any other compatible CPUs that I can use.

Jun 19, 2019
Does the Gaming Pro Carbon have the BIOS flash functionality via a button on the back? If not, you'll need a compatible CPU (1000 or 2000 series)

I believe it does though, and you can update without a CPU installed - but you should remove the CPU to do so.
It doesn't read as strictly necessary in the BIOS flash 'rules', but there have been a few reports of the Tomahawk not flashing properly with a CPU actually installed.
Yea I tried flashing a BIOS update that the motherboard needs to work with 3000 CPUs using a USB stick and followed a guide on how to do it properly. Do I also need to flash the most up to date BIOS as well as the update that is needed for Ryzen 3000 CPUs though? Haven't tried that yet

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Can you enter the bios without a CPU? I don't have any other compatible CPUs that I can use.

No, you don't enter the BIOS. You connect the USB to the appropriate port as outlined in the manual and pretty the BIOS flash button on the rear IO. No CPU or RAM required - and from what I read, the presence of the CPU in the socket can cause issues in the update process.

Yea I tried flashing a BIOS update that the motherboard needs to work with 3000 CPUs using a USB stick and followed a guide on how to do it properly. Do I also need to flash the most up to date BIOS as well as the update that is needed for Ryzen 3000 CPUs though? Haven't tried that yet

The most recent AND the one to support 3000 series aren't the same? At a minimum, you should only have to update to the one that supports the 3000 series chips.

Reactions: DMAN999
Jun 19, 2019
Yea
No, you don't enter the BIOS. You connect the USB to the appropriate port as outlined in the manual and pretty the BIOS flash button on the rear IO. No CPU or RAM required - and from what I read, the presence of the CPU in the socket can cause issues in the update process.

The most recent AND the one to support 3000 series aren't the same? At a minimum, you should only have to update to the one that supports the 3000 series chips.
I have already done all this but still the LED indicating that there is a CPU error is on and I can't post

Jun 19, 2019
Yes Barty,
The most recent BIOS for his MB is a BETA BIOS that supports Ryzen 3000 series CPUs:
https://www.msi.com/blog/the-latest-bios-for-amd-300-400-series-motherboard

And No JD you will not be able to enter the BIOS if you CPU is NOT installed.

I was assuming you had already flashed the new Beta BIOS from the link above.
If you haven't then you need to do that first.
Yea you're right to assume that I had already flashed the beta BIOS from that link, sorry I'm just a bit confused as what I should try next?

Jun 19, 2019
I would try and clear the CMOS (follow the EXACT directions in your MB manual to do that).
Hopefully that will let you get into the BIOS and set the Optimized Defaults.
I think I cleared the CMOS, I didn't have a CMOS jumper but people have said that just using something like a screwdriver works fine if you connect the two pins for 5-10 seconds which I did. Tried turning on the computer again and the same LED is on that signifies that there is an error with the CPU still and I can't boot. Should I try flashing the BIOS again using my USB stick or would that not do anything?

Jun 19, 2019
I would probably give a shot.
When I tried flashing the bios again the bios flash led did 2 flashes then went to a solid light, it's meant to flash until the bios is installed so I don't know what that means, maybe because I flashed the same bios earlier it recognises this and doesn't install again? Either way still can't boot, CPU error LED is still on, should I just try returning and getting a new CPU and/or motherboard?

Jun 19, 2019
stick with 1 thread
So I've been having issues with my new Ryzen 5 3600, as a lot of other people have, with putting it in my MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC. I'm trying to flash the BIOS and at the start it seemed to have worked but still the CPU error LED was on but now the BIOS flash LED only does 2 flashes before doing a solid light and won't turn off. I assume this mean the BIOS has failed to flash but I'm not sure, nor am I sure why.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Have you tried clearing the CMOS (RTC).
If not look in your motherboard Manual for the steps recommended by MSI for your motherboard and do that.
If that doesn't correct the problem try flashing the BIOS again after you reset the CMOS.

Jun 19, 2019
Have you tried clearing the CMOS (RTC).
If not look in your motherboard Manual for the steps recommended by MSI for your motherboard and do that.
If that doesn't correct the problem try flashing the BIOS again after you reset the CMOS.
Yea I've cleared the CMOS and tried to flash the BIOS again but still only 2 flashes then a solid light on the flashback LED. The weird thing is that before I could update the BIOS with the same USB, the LED continuously flashed then turned off like it's supposed to, but now I can't even try to update the BIOS. At this point I'm having so much difficulties with this motherboard and CPU I think I may just return them and try something else, even MSI support offered no good help to solve the issue. Thanks for the help though DMAN

Reactions: DMAN999

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
You might want to contact AMD and see if a Loaner CPU is available in your country.
If it is you could use it to see if you can even boot with an 2000 series CPU and that BIOS and possibly set the BIOS settings to Optimized Defaults before installing the 3600.

Short Term Processor Loan Boot Kit
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100

I thonk your only other option is to wait until MSI posts a newer BIOS for the 3000 series CPU's and see if that helps.

And FYI,
I have seen quite a few other people posting on various forums that are having similar issues with the Flashback feature when updating to those new Beta BIOS versions.

Solution